•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Auto tranny :(

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I just got my 89 BroncoII from "IlovemybroncoII" and it turned out to be nicer then I thought, and my wife won't let me tear it apart to fix my ranger up, so now I need to know what transmissions might be in this little broncoII, and what years can work in it, it's the 2.9 and runs like a top, I saw in another post that the 2.9, 3.0, 4.0 all have the same bolt pattern, it this true ?? and when I go to the junk yard, what years do I need to look for???

also will a tranny from a 2.3 bolt up ??

I am going to change the fluid and filter this week to see if that helps it any.
won't go forward or backward.

I'm wondering it the converter or what ever could be out.

is there somewhere on the rad. support that might say when trans. is in it like it does with the engine???

thank you

Robert

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Dont waste your money on fluid and filter. If the level is low, add fluid then try it. If it is at the proper level and it still slips out, the tranny's probly shot. It could be TC, but with the cost of a good used tranny vs. the cost of a new TC, You're better off going whole transmission anyways.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
the fluid is at the right level, and doesn't smell burnt, when you put it in gear it does nothing, doesn't even try to do something, I'm wondering if it could be one of the modulators or something !?!

according to advance auto, it has the A4LD, does that sound right ?!?
is that the only auto they had at the time ??

Robert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
the fluid is at the right level, and doesn't smell burnt, when you put it in gear it does nothing, doesn't even try to do something, I'm wondering if it could be one of the modulators or something !?!

according to advance auto, it has the A4LD, does that sound right ?!?
is that the only auto they had at the time ??

Robert
yes it is a a4ld and you need 1 from a 89 to 94 ranger bronco or explorer and i have a good one but you live a little far and i cant ship:dunno:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
yes it is a a4ld and you need 1 from a 89 to 94 ranger bronco or explorer and i have a good one but you live a little far and i cant ship:dunno:
BUMMER :sad::bawling:

Dang it, I wish this little Bronco II didn't look so nice, I traded for it to use the engine in my 88 ranger, and I was going to use the doors, the dash, fenders, hood, grill, rad support, and a bunch or other stuff, then my wife went out to look at the bronco II and she just flat said "this is too nice to take apart, you have to fix it" :annoyed:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
i'd double check the transfer case. (it is a 4x4?) sounds like it could be in neutral and that would prevent you from moving no matter what gear the tranny is in. just a thought.
yes it's 4x4, and I tryed the push buttion to change it in and out, is there a way to manually shift it ???

When I take the electric motor of the BW1350, which way do I turn the shaft to hit 2wd in the transfer case ??

thank you

Robert

Last edited:

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Try lifting the rear end off the ground. Then start it and put it in D, 2, then 1. If it spins the wheels in the air, It's definitely a transmission problem.

-Jeremy

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
ok, I know it isn't the transfer case, i got under it this morning, and took the electric motor off, and turned the shaft to all the postions that it would click into, and still nothing.

It looks like this weekend I'm headed to pull-a-part in knoxville to see if they have one.

If I can't find another A4LD, what would be a good alternative to use, even if I have to lose the 4x4 ?? and I need to keep this a Auto so my wife can drive it ??

thank you

Robert

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
comments: pull the transfer case before you yank the tranny, bloody thing weighs 200 lbs.

bronco IIs are here in reno pick and pulls by the dozens. tranny shouldn't be a problem any 83-89 mazda bronco ii or ranger ought to have one. Also if you keep the old tranny, the rear housing interchanges, so I understand you COULD use any A4ld you find. haven't done the swap, but a search ought to tell you how.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
comments: pull the transfer case before you yank the tranny, bloody thing weighs 200 lbs.

bronco IIs are here in reno pick and pulls by the dozens. tranny shouldn't be a problem any 83-89 mazda bronco ii or ranger ought to have one. Also if you keep the old tranny, the rear housing interchanges, so I understand you COULD use any A4ld you find. haven't done the swap, but a search ought to tell you how.
The rear housing may interchange, but 2wd output shafts are a different length then 4wd ones. Swapping them requires basically rebuilding the entire trans.

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

Look at 4.0l 4WD Rangers from 90-94 and AWD Areostars with the 4.0l. They are much stronger. While you have it out put a shift correction kit into it. My 85 B2 has that and I am happy.

igiveup

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
This price is shipped to your door and ready to fill and go.

http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/1_31_400/products_id/713

With some negotiation, I bet you could get them to give you free tranny fluid with it.
:shok:at that price, I hope they come and install it. when I win the Tennessee Lottery, I'll call them up and buy two of them :)

I'm going to make a run down to the Pull-A-Part this coming weekend, for around 70.00 I hope they have one.

Robert

Last edited:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Hello

Look at 4.0l 4WD Rangers from 90-94 and AWD Areostars with the 4.0l. They are much stronger. While you have it out put a shift correction kit into it. My 85 B2 has that and I am happy.

igiveup
Whats a shift correction kit ??:icon_confused:

Also I tryed the raising the back tires up and then shifting into d,2,1,r,n, it does nothing, wont spin the tires, or anything.

Robert

Last edited:

igiveup

Reaction score
Hello

A shift correction kit will engage the gears faster without slipping so much. Much firmer shifts. Less slipping means less heat being made. Also look at getting a bigger transmission cooler. I used one from a 94 AWD Areostar and it does a good job. Some guys on here and other Ford sites will say to goto a RV cooler. In my 85 B2 its transmission out to top of rad out of bottom of rad to Areostar cooler then to the Areostar PS cooler back to the transmission. So far so good. I also use an E-Fan (2 speed) from a Caravan with the relay box out of an areostar. Here is my right up http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36762&highlight=e-fan . It helps it to stay cool in +30 C weather.

igiveup

Brandos 84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
iv got an 84 4x4 with a 2.8 liter would an a4ld work in mine been tryn to get this answered but no luck yet

any comments help

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
iv got an 84 4x4 with a 2.8 liter would an a4ld work in mine been tryn to get this answered but no luck yet

any comments help
Some one posted that a A4LD from a 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 would interchange.

Robert.

Mr99Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Whats a shift correction kit ??:icon_confused:

Also I tryed the raising the back tires up and then shifting into d,2,1,r,n, it does nothing, wont spin the tires, or anything.

Robert
Then something in the trans. is probably blown to shit. If it were worn clutch packs or worn down band friction surfaces, it would slip horribly but would at least move the wheels while under no load. Hows the rear end on it? If it's looking worn, an 8.8 may not be a bad pick up while at the yard.