•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

AXLE GURUS, I Need Your Help! 1979 D-44 8 Lug Question

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, so I have a 1979 F-250 Parts truck that has a D-44/D-60 combo. I wanna cannibalize the D-44 and put it under my Bronco II for reasons of it's FREE. I Have a 9" that's going in the rear and I'd like to have the 5-5.5 lug pattern all around. As you may know the D-44 from the F-250 is 8 lug, can I use 5 lug knuckes on this axle? Are the parts specific to these axles or are they just a regular D-44 with 8 lug outers?

I'm going to be narrowing it to EB width and using those axles if it's not too much hassle (the axleshafts are my main concern, having customs made will kill the idea)

I have not torn into this axle yet and I know NOTHING about it other than it's there for the taking and it's a D-44 with 8 lug...LOL

Thanks for any input!

Ben

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i think the biggest problem you will find is that the lower ball joint is bigger on the 250 axle,the inner shafts will be the same,outer stubs are different.the 150 knuckle will not just drop onto the 250 housing.

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So reaming the knuckes and changing the stubs would do it then....

This is looking like a good option....LOL

Do you know if this is wider or the same width as a regular FW D-44? I don't have one laying around to measure anymore...LOL

And too bad I enjoy driving the '78 F-250 a lot, that has 60s front and rear...LOL

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i think the biggest problem you will find is that the lower ball joint is bigger on the 250 axle,the inner shafts will be the same,outer stubs are different.the 150 knuckle will not just drop onto the 250 housing.
Not so. The ball joints are the same for the older d44's whether they were leaf or coil sprung from the factory. (don't believe me - do an online part search)

To do the swap you want you will need everything from the knuckles out from a 5 bolt FORD dana 44. This includes the brake system as well. If you weren't so far away I have the parts you need laying around. But I highly doubt you want to pay to ship almost 100 lbs of iron.

Also, the 3/4 ton axle is wider than the 1/2 ton version. 1/2T is 65.0" and 3/4T 69.25"

Last edited:

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Not so. The ball joints are the same for the older d44's whether they were leaf or coil sprung from the factory. (don't believe me - do an online part search)

To do the swap you want you will need everything from the knuckles out from a 5 bolt FORD dana 44. This includes the brake system as well. If you weren't so far away I have the parts you need laying around. But I highly doubt you want to pay to ship almost 100 lbs of iron.

Also, the 3/4 ton axle is wider than the 1/2 ton version. 1/2T is 65.0" and 3/4T 69.25"
NICE! Those are some finger lickin good posts guys!

I can get a hold of some 5 lug knuckles and brakes fairly easily...as for length thank god for Oxy/Acetylene and chop saws!

Thanks Guys!

Once I have the axle out I'll start a build thread!

Ben

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NICE! Those are some finger lickin good posts guys!

I can get a hold of some 5 lug knuckles and brakes fairly easily...as for length thank god for Oxy/Acetylene and chop saws!

Thanks Guys!

Once I have the axle out I'll start a build thread!

Ben
i have all the parts u need from the knuckles out where in long island r u i go out there alot if u want to buy them that is

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size

i stand corrected...thanks for the info.

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i have all the parts u need from the knuckles out where in long island r u i go out there alot if u want to buy them that is
I'm on Eastern Long Island, near Port Jefferson. How much you want for the stuff and when are you coming out next?

Ben

fordwheelinman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
im looking for 8 lug complete outters to swap onto my 78 1/2 ton

bigblockford79

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1979/93
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
im looking for 8 lug complete outters to swap onto my 78 1/2 ton
I have a friend here in MI that has a set of 8 lug outers (hubs, rotors, spindles, calipers and brackets) for $100 plus S&H. PM me if interested.