•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bellhousing bolt removal question

winkeldc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am pulling a 2.9l engine from a '90, and must have fought trying to get at the middle two bell housing bolts for a couple hours today. I tried from above after getting the top two out from that angle, but I just couldn't get anything I had at either of the middle ones (just to be clear, if there are two of the bolts around the 12 o'clock position, and one at 9 and another at 3, the two I can't get to are between those two positions on each side). I tried extensions, wobbles and u-joint extensions from underneath, but nothing I had would seat on the bolt heads. Am I missing something simple here?

I thought about going through the wheel wells, but that'll take some doing if I have to remove the plastic. I tried doing some searching as I was getting pretty frustrated, but couldn't find anything about having to take some extra steps to get those bolts removed (or installed for that matter). Does anyone have advice on getting at those two bolts?

Edit: I read about possibly dropping the transmission cross member and let it drop a bit to get an angle, but that's not an option at the moment as the bolts on that aren't moving.

Never mind. Some previous owner or a shop put different sized bolt heads into those locations so what I thought was an inability to get anything on it was just trials a getting the right sized socket.

Last edited: