•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

BII Eddie Bauer question

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
I'm glad you got a pretty good deal. Make sure to let us know if you need any advice doing any of the repairs.
Will do. I'm definitely going to have some questions...there's a lot of work to do on this thing, especially the front end.

One of them I can think of right away is, what exactly is the right term for the joints that link the front axle shaft to the front wheels? All my trucks have been 2wd to this point and this is my first 4x4. I know on front wheel drive cars it's the CV joint but those usually have a rubber boot which this Bronco doesn't have. It basically looks just like the axle shaft goes into a U-joint style assembly that's on the backside of the knuckle.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Will do. I'm definitely going to have some questions...there's a lot of work to do on this thing, especially the front end.

One of them I can think of right away is, what exactly is the right term for the joints that link the front axle shaft to the front wheels? All my trucks have been 2wd to this point and this is my first 4x4. I know on front wheel drive cars it's the CV joint but those usually have a rubber boot which this Bronco doesn't have. It basically looks just like the axle shaft goes into a U-joint style assembly that's on the backside of the knuckle.
The joints on the older vehicles were U-Joints. The only CV type joint is on the rear drive-shaft of some models and is covered with a rubber boot.

If you can post pictures for us as you have questions it usually helps the guys provide quicker responses. However your answer here are U-Joints.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
The joints on the older vehicles were U-Joints. The only CV type joint is on the rear drive-shaft of some models and is covered with a rubber boot.

If you can post pictures for us as you have questions it usually helps the guys provide quicker responses. However your answer here are U-Joints.
Thanks a lot!

I was going to post a pic but I thought in this instance you guys would probably know right away. This thing is so freaking rusty it's going to be an interesting challenge to get all this stuff apart, that's for sure.

Hopefully by the time I get done with the bearings, ball joints, brakes, rotors, tie rods, etc. it'll ride a little better and I won't have that steering clunk on bumps.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I know how you feel, my 84 B2 is extremely rusty, when brake time comes for me I'm going to have to replace brake lines, calipers, pads, and rotors from the looks of everything.

Its going to be an extremely long process for me but I'm planning on restoring mine to at least close to factory condition eventually. Right now its my daily driver and around town I'm averaging just under 16mpg with it, sure beats the 13mpg around town with my full size truck. even the little bit of difference helps me out on keeping more money in my pocket LOL.

MeanMark87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4
okay, another question.....will a 1990 lift gate fit my '88? There's a guy selling an all new gate for 20 bucks and I want to take him up on it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F