•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

BII hood will not open

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The hood on my 1989 BII will not open. The cable isn't broken, it just won't pull out to open.

I've been spraying the latch through the grill with penetrating oil but no luck yet..

Any other ides to open the hood???

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Pull really fawking hard on the release handle in the cab. :D

J/k, you don't want to break it. Have someone push down or sit on the hood right above the latch, and then pull the release, that may help.

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks!

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So far nothing has worked.

Tried sitting on the hood and bouncing while the hood latch was being pulled, nothing.

Made a tool to slide the latch mech to the side just as the cable does. I could move it to the side but it didn't release. It did on the other BII of the same year.

I did spray the latch mech with lube so the cable now moves & pulls the latch mech to the side to open, but it doesn't open.

Right now I'm thinking on removing the 2 bolts that hold the latch mech to the body. Not sure that will do it?

Any more ideas???

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The tool of 2nd to last resort.

The tool of last resort is the phone, so I can call the scrap yard..

The frustration level was running high until I removed the bolts from the hood latch. Then I lifted the hood up about 10 inches and twisted the latch mech out of the hood. It had rusted solid so it wasn't about to move. Fortunately I have another BII and now I can start combining them into one working BII...

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
you should be able to reach the bolts for the latch it self with a swival through the grill its a 8mm then just lift the hood up

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Vehicle
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
Take an 8mm socket with a swivel and 8" extension, reach threw the grill and take the two bolts out that hold the hood latch.

Ray

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
pull on the hood release instead of the ebrake release
i second that. i pulled on the ebrake release.... couldnt get a socket in to the latch thinking it was bad so i hacked my grille to peices broke my hood release cable too. that was about a 50$ mistake

dangerrangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
have some one pull the latch as u bang on the hood if it pops spray litheum grease on the latch

Jabs89brnko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Will be 4.0 by spring
Chances are the cable is frayed / shot in general.

You can do a few things, hack it to hell, remove the assembly, OR take some snips and cut the shielding on the wire at the hood, hook some Vise grips on the bare cable pop hood replace cable.

Gluck

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
As it turns out I took an 8mm wrench and backed the bolts out. This allowed the hood to pop up a few inches. Next I released the cable from the latch mech. Then I wrestled it around and finally pulled the latch mech out of the hood where it was stuck. The latch mech was rusted solid and couldn't be broken free. The cable is good. No broken grill as my hand just barley fit through to back out the bolts.

Now I get to replace the timing chain and combine the 2 BII's I have into one good one..

Thanks!!!