•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Blinking Tail Lights

DukeNukem0414

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So on my B2, my rear tail lights have a dull blink as if the 4-ways are on but everything is turned off and the key is removed. The only thing I did different was replace the old school bulb with LEDs. Maybe it's been doing it the whole time but I couldn't see it because the bulbs were old. I'm not sure. I'm just trying to figure out why they flash for about 10 minutes then shutoff. Any ideas?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I remember reading a couple of years ago that leds and flashers didn't play well together and that leds needed a special flasher. That may have changed over the years.

DukeNukem0414

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Would you be referring to the turn signal and flasher assembly in the steering column?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yes, although it may be in the fuse panel.

DukeNukem0414

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This sounds like it may become a nightmare trying to track down

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2 things on this.
1. you have to replace the flasher under the dash (fuse panel) with one made for LEDs. the polarity on the pins are opposite so you have to make a short pigtail to reverse those to pug into the fuse panel.
2. you have to put a 5 ohm resistor on each tail light bulb to get the LEDs to work properly.

I just did this to mine, went all LED and after some research and trial and error this is what works. here is a link to my build with the info
http://www.broncoiicorral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135020&page=3

Last edited: