•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bolt pattern ?'s

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Vehicle
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
I've been tossing around the idea of a sas on my B2 but my issues are strength, parts availability and bolt pattern. I'm runnin a 5.0 soon to be 5.8 So I know a dana 30 ain't gonna cut it. Going to a box bronco 44 will change my bolt pattern requiring too much work on my rear axle, not to mention new wheels. So my question is without going custom, What options are out there?

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i know all the ford axles are gonna be bigger pattern that i know of.

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you go with the big pattern 44 you can go with a fullsize 8.8 or 9" to match, so you only need one set of wheels. If you want to keep the 5x4.5 pattern, i think that prettymuch limits you to jeeps, but you have a few options there.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Or maybe go with a 66-77 Bronco Dana 44. They will have the smaller 5x4.5 pattern. They aren't as strong as a fullsize 44. You could try to find a Rubicon D44 which would be pricey and I also hear that they aren't a true D44 either. You have a few options but what are you doing with the truck? Some of this will depend on tire size. Personally with more power and bigger tires I prefer a larger bolt pattern. If you go fullsize you are pretty much guranteed 5x5.5 patterns. A D44 and a 9in seems to be quite popular becuase they are cheap and everywhere. If you go even bigger you will find a HD D44 or D60 which is 8 lug with depending on age a D60/70 out back or a 10.25/10.5sterling, these are full float axles. The extra work to add a different rear axle will only help you with reliability especially if you are wheeling.

Matt

Mutant Pony

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The '66-'77 Bronco (E.B.) is 5x5 1/2" just like a half ton. The front end can easily be upgraded to be equaly strong as any 44. You just have to buy one new axle that costs about $150. The rest you can get used.
The axles fit a BII really well, If you have an E.B. for parts it is practically a bolt in. (a small amount of welding required).
The nine inch rear is only 28 spline but, 31 and 35 spline axles are readily available. The 35 spline axles are lifetime warranty.
I have had the stock E.B. axles in my 351c powered Ranger for years now. I have only broken one axle joint (in the mud).
Your best bet for 4 1/2 would be the Rubicon or why not a d-35 TTB from a newer Ranger or exploder.

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
My bad. I had a few axles mixed up. The EB is most definitely a 5x5.5. The Rubicon 44 seems to have a stregnth contraversy. Yes is uses a 44 R&P and it has 30 spline shafts and such but uses a same u-joints as a 97-up Dana 30. So really a true fullsize Dana 44 is stronger due to bigger u-joints and you will find one for next to nothing.

Matt