•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 5.0 swap quesitons Please HELP@_@!

CU88B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Engine Size
2.9l : (
I have some 5.0 swap questions. I have been reading like a mad man but its the small specifics I am confused on.

First of all I have an 88 B2 with 7" lift (3 body/4 suspension), my swap is coming from a 84 F150 with with a 302 (carb) and a 4 speed mannual transmission with manual transfer case.

questions?
Can I just adapt tranny x-member and get custom driveshafts made instead of using advanced adapters swap kit?

I have accepted that I'm going to have to buy the oil filter adapter kit from Advanced adapters.

I have axles out of the f150 and I wanted to know how much of a difference it would make in using the wider dana 44/9" vs using the dana 44/9" out of a cracker box bronco (early 70's), or the comparison to swaping to explorer dana 35/8.8"

If someone is very knowledgeable I would love some advice on the forum or contact me at 864-238-4749

I am planning all of this kinda spur the moment since I found out my 2.9l heads were cracked.

Anyways I will prob have more questions but these are my biggest questions to date.

I plan to drop the 5.0 in with the 4 speed and get every thing operational (maybe have just a rear driveshaft made until I can get the axles ready) It just depends on how smooth the conversion goes... but ideally I would like to get axles and engine swapped around the same time.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Max

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I adapted my crossmember, it was pretty simple. It is the one that sets on the bottom web of frame rail, goes under the tranny and swoops up and around to bolt into the side of the other frame rail from above. There is another style out there with a rubber bushing in each side... I haven't really paid much attention to them.

The D35 with good axleshaft u-joints (check out the tech library) is roughly comparable to a TTB D44 but it bolts in. The driveshaft length is needs to be about an inch shorter on a stock truck but with a lift on yours it may or may not matter.

You can have driveshafts made, if you can find one that could work but is too long it is a lot cheaper to have it shortened than have one that is too short retubed.

A 31 spline 8.8 is a tad stronger than the best stock 9". However with aftermarket support the 9" will blow the 8.8 away. The Explorer 8.8 is the right width and with disc brakes and is very common to find and find parts for. All you gotta do is flip the perches and weld on shock mounts. Your regular RBV wheels will still fit too.

Your 7.5 has tiny u-joints in the back... you would save yourself some time and work to go ahead and at least switch it before you have driveshafts made.

CU88B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco 2
Engine Size
2.9l : (
That makes sense. Carolina Drivelines said it would be between $120-180 each for my driveshafts so I guess I need to decide which axles to go with and start putting things together. I still feel questionable about using a dana 35 with 36" swampers so its still up in the air. Thanks for the answers. Do you know if it is a simple hook for the disk brake set up with the 8.8?