•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco 2 Front end compatability

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys, quick question for all the bronco 2 experts here. I used to have an 89 which had the front end that resembled that of an explorer, with the rap around headlight/turn signal setup and the more round nose on the hood that met the grill. I really liked the way the front end on that b2 looked.

Now, I have an 87 and I'm not a huge fan of the front end style. Is there any way that the front end of the 89 or 90 style bronco 2 is compatible enough to swap out on the 87's?

If so, is it like a direct swap out or how much work do you think would be involved?

Sunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You can swap them no problem, it's been done at least a few times. I think at least one swap has been documented on here.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
it could be done... but.... WHY? come on man. first gen is where its at!!! lol

i wanna say its been done before on this website.. research it some. or just tear into the project, it'll work out. just how much time/money is the question

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Why you ask? Well the 89 was the first vehicle ever purchased with my own cash, just fell in love with the way it came off. lol Plus to confuse everyone when they ask if its anything other then the first gen. I bought the 87 for 150 bucks.. so with cash to spare, nothing is wrong with it but the expected rust on the lower areas, And since I don't have any welding experience i figured I'd just replace the fenders anyway so why not put on the parts i want. :)

Last edited:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
well, at least do the 4.0 swap w/ dash and all to then...

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thought about it.. and all I'm finding on the site is 2nd gen to 1st gen conversion threads lol

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
yeah i figured that when i said search it lol.
but hey, i'd focus on the 4.0 swap before the 2nd gen front clip. motor>front clip!

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
The crazy thing everyone is telling me to stick with the 2.9 thats in it :p

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
2.9 is not a bad motor.. i had nothing against mine, other than i when i was towing the 2 four wheelers; and i was used to driving the explorer we own also.

it just helped that i got a donor explorer for $300.

what are some of the reasons people are saying to keep the 2.9? and who is it? people on here? or just people you know?

oh, and i apologize for derailing this thread to other topics...!

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Its all good any info on the vehicle is appreciated. Mainly my father and my father-and-law who are both mechanics my father-n-law being ASE. But i think their main reason is cause of the gas mileage and seeing how i prolly wont be towing much unless we end up getting a small camper or something. Mainly an everyday driver, winter fun, that kind of stuff lol i have more visual appealing plans for it the actual off road or anything.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i can tell you personally.. i get the same MPG's w/ my 4.0 than i did my 2.9.
and the 2.9 only had about 30,000(had it rebuilt, bottom up, all of it) miles on it, didn't smoke, didn't use oil, ran perfect.
the 4.0 was a fresh rebuild, but now has about 60,000 miles on it.

i get about 17-18 in town and 20-22 on the interstate. that's w/ 3.73's and 30's.
but the 4.0 power is so much more amazing!! the torque and stuff is just awesome. the 4.0 is made for the b2. its a perfect match.

and this is coming from my dad (ASE certified) and me... lol

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
lol it may be something ill have to look into in the future but at the moment an engine swap may be a bit much for me to take on. Ideas i have are possibly a small lift just enough to give it a lil attitude maybe some beefier tires. possible some bushwacker flares, maybe a hood cowl and then paint the whole thing candy blood red or a two tone silver/red. lol

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
sounds good.. do a 2.5 inch lift, suspension (not body!!!)
some 16 inch rims and 30's
make your own cowl hood out of the stocker. just cut it, rise it, mold it, smooth it, prep it, paint it

Garthoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ill have to grab a hood from a salvage yard to try that cowl idea on 2.5 is a good height ive seen a ranger around the corner and i think the guy said 2 or 2.5 but it looks decent about the height im looking for

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
yeah, i like the look of the 2.5 for a slight dd build. but the RC 4" lift i cheap. only thing i don't like about mine is the fact the coil springs are so stiff. and if you ever plan on doing a d35 swap, you'll need a new drop bracket for one of the axles. if you look at my build thread-- the pics of it w/ the black procomp wheels-- those are w/ the 4" RC lift and 245/70r16's.. with a slight add a leaf in the rear also.

BroncoBusterForLife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89 bII
Vehicle
Ford
BII front end compatibility

89-90 Bronco II front clip is a direct bolt on to 88 and older BIIs, with the following notes: You must use the radiator core support from the 89-90 in the 88 and older models. You must also use the headlight wiring harness from the 89-90 BII. I strongly encourage one to also take the windshield cowl from the 89-90 because it is better designed, and works with the improved wiper arm design of the 89-90 BII, because you are able to adjust the arms to come to rest @ the off position in a much lower place, eliminating the "to high" position of the 88 and older BII that is an obstruction and distracting. I have done this twice, and I agree with you, for many reasons, the 89-90 front end looks way better, is more aerodynamic, and wiper performance is upgraded as well. You will need a spot weld cutter drill bit for the radiator core support spot welds, and in the front bottom corners there is a long bolt with bushings that will need the be replaced. Good luck, BBFL

BroncoBusterForLife

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88, 89 bII
Vehicle
Ford
BII front end compatibility

89-90 Bronco II front clip is a direct bolt on to 88 and older BIIs, with the following notes: You must use the radiator core support from the 89-90 in the 88 and older models. You must also use the headlight wiring harness from the 89-90 BII. I strongly encourage one to also take the windshield cowl from the 89-90 because it is better designed, and works with the improved wiper arm design of the 89-90 BII, because you are able to adjust the arms to come to rest @ the off position in a much lower place, eliminating the "to high" position of the 88 and older BII that is an obstruction and distracting. I have done this twice, and I agree with you, for many reasons, the 89-90 front end looks way better, is more aerodynamic, and wiper performance is upgraded as well. You will need a spot weld cutter drill bit for the radiator core support spot welds, and in the front bottom corners there is a long bolt with bushings that will need the be replaced. Good luck, BBFL

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
I did mine without changing the core support!! I have a 86 first gen that I converted to a the 2nd gen front end without using the 89-90 core support

Youll need fenders hood grill entire light assembly with brackets and all mounting hardware

Start by mounting the fenders and the lower middle support piece get them as close as you can alligned

Only a few holes will match so drill new holes and grab some of the extra clippy do dahs and secure the hole that don't match up next line up the headlight with fender

It will hit the core support .... This is where I used a 3lb mini sledge and a cut off wheel to allow room for the headlight bulb socket protrusion.

Mount the headlight brackets so they line up with the grill and hood/ fenders
Drill holes and secure headlight brackets

Mock it all up

It will take multiple tries and a buddy to align the panels perfect but once done it will look flawless and factory

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Why would you want to ruin a good original grille and front end. I got an 89 but i love it the way it is, i just love the look of all B2s! Keep it as it is. Show its model year with pride!