•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II 2.9 high idle and seems to be running hot

Bronco2mania

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just bought a 1990 Ford Bronco II with the 2.9L V6. I'm somewhat new to these motors, so I'm going to need a little help. Here's the problem: the motor seems to be idling rather high and possibly running a little bit hot. Any suggestions? Also, is it normal for the thing to run at 5000rpm to go 60mph???? Thanks for any help.

removebe4flight

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just bought a 1990 Ford Bronco II with the 2.9L V6. I'm somewhat new to these motors, so I'm going to need a little help. Here's the problem: the motor seems to be idling rather high and possibly running a little bit hot. Any suggestions? Also, is it normal for the thing to run at 5000rpm to go 60mph???? Thanks for any help.
Hell nah 5000rpm is about double or triple what it should be. In overdrive mine is about 2k and in drive it is 2900. But, I have my timing advanced alittle more for that extra go juice. As, far as idle. The ICV (idle control valve) controls it. They get pretty dirty. Just take it off soak it in throttlebody cleaner. You should be able to shake it and hear the valve move inside. clean a new gasket out of some 8 dollar gasket sheet and plug back in. hope this helps.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
5k RPM is way too high, sounds like you have some transmission shifting issues rather than an engine problem. The auto transmissions in these vehicles were notorious for having problems. The valve body solenoids stick in them and cause shifting problems and sounds like yours may just be another one. I had the transmission in my 88 B2 rebuilt a couple months back and it wasn't shifting right after the rebuild and was running quite hot as well. Took it back to the shop and they replaced the valve body again and its been running fine since then.

I'm not a transmission expert, but there may be a way to pull the valve body and clean it, hopefully one of the guru's sees this thread soon that knows far more than I do about the A4LD transmissions.