•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bronco II 4.0 swap

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
hey guys i'm new to TRS. i was using this site to help with my 4.0 swap into my 86 BII. i know this is a comman swap, but i am having some trouble with the wiring. i have the complete wire harness. the engine is in the BII, it will turn over. it's almost done. my problem is i am not getting any fire or fuel. i can run a hot wire to the fuel pump, but i cant get the engine to fire. i'm sure there are a couple more wires to connect to eliminate this problem, but i cant find them. i am not good with elctrical components, but i can build an awsome engine. this is my first swap. i have the manuals for both vehicles, and i subscrided to ALLDATA, but i still cant figure this problem out. if anyone can help me out it would be appreciated. thanks

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Check all your grounds. Do you have grounds at the ECU.

Are you not getting spark, or no injector response?

what year 4.0L and what is it out of.

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
the 4.0 is out of a 92 explorer. i have grounds at the ecm. i've checked all grounds. unless i need to add more grounds. i'm not getting any spark. thanks.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
No spark?

Are you getting power to the coil pack?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
there are 4 wires on the coil 3 control grounds (1-5, 2-6, 3-4)that go to the spark control module then to ecu as a ground signal, the 4th is 12V power.

I don't remember off hand the order. IIRC the rear most wire (Closest to the firewall) is the 12V. The power should be triggered of of the ignition fuse in teh distribution block.

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i'll check the fuse, and see if its getting power. i'll post later when i test it. thanks

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i checked the fuse and its getting power, but i'm not getting any power to the red wires going to the relays. my key on wire (red w/ green stripe) gets power, but nothing else. please help. thanks

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
I have a Chiltons for sploders, it has the wiring schematics to make the engine run. I just followed it and wired it up according to the schematic. I'd suggest looking back through you schematics and your wiring job and find what you left out.

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
i also have chilton's, haynes, and alldata. i have checked and rechecked, and i'm finding nothing. i wired red/ blue to pink for the starter, wired the starter, conected red/green in both harness for the power, all grounds, alternator. if i'm missing something please let me know. i was going by 'diehardford' write up sheet, off of TRS, but his swap was injection from carb so there was more for him, and different conections for me. i can build engines but when it comes to electrical i'm dumbfounded. even if its in front of me i probley wouldnt see it. thanks for the help.

Last edited:

wroberts20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
ok, update. plug come unhooked, hooked it back up, everything has power. fuel pump works properly, but i still have no spark. i have power to the coil, but wont start. any ideas? i apreciate any help. thanks guys.