•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II, bringing it back to life.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
I'll be putting a oil gauge on it probably in the next week or so. I can do general maintenance on a vehicle but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. anything else I have to get a mechanic involved.
I really do appreciate everyone's input. It has been a learning experience.

I managed to get the bumper back on and the tag on it. Drove it up to the store and back, put some gas in it.

Fuel gauge isn't working, is there a connector or something easily accessible where I can check the float to see if it's working (resistance, I believe).

I'm gonna check with the previous owner to see if this was always the case or if it's something recent.

Could also be a problem with the instrument cluster. The temp gauge was working, but dropped down to cold.

one thing after another.......

MountainMike

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
245 CID
1- The Rear AntiLock Brake light is on and stays on. No problem with braking, they work fine. What could it be?
Could be something as simple as the master cylinder is a little low.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Yea the truck is 25 yrs old and the connections could be getting corroded. pull all the connections apart and clean with electrical cleaner inspect them and use some dielectric to put them back together to protect from corrosion. For the coolant temp that is pretty common take the 90 degree connector and crimp it a little so it fits tite on the sender also sand the terminal on the sender to rough it up a little first and dielectric it also.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The oil that you want to use is what Ford recommends for the engine, that's 5W-30.

A lot of guys will tell you to run a higher viscosity oil, but they really don't understand how this engine is designed, or why they almost all have a lifter noise.

There is poor circulation to the lifters, and a higher vis oil only makes that worse.

The worst possible thing you could do to that engine is throw in a higher viscosity oil, when it's already crudded up and has low oil pressure.

You really need to do an oil pressure check with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. They aren't that expensive or hard to install.

That way you know what you're dealing with, and have a baseline to judge any progress in cleaning up the engine.

Use some Sea Foam in it and run it long enough to get the circulation going and clean up the bad stuff.

Then change the oil, add some more sea Foam, and run it for another 500 miles and change it out again.

Keep track of the oil pressure, and see if it starts to improve. Also keep and eye on the condition of the oil and see how bad it looks after you run it a while.

It may not be all that bad inside, so just keeping it lubed with good quality 5W-30 will give the best longevity for the engine.
What brand do you use and how many quarts?

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
OK, got the oil light issue taken care of....maybe.

here's what I did, I poured 1/3 to 1/2 can of sea foam in the top (where thwe oil goes) and ran it up the road a mile or two, just long enough to get it warmed up.

Let it sit and idle for about 5 minutes, oil light was on by then.

shut it down and changed the drained the oil and changed the oil filter.

Put 4 quarts of standard 10w40 in, what I had around at the time, and poured in a can of Lucas oil stabilizer (thick stuff) in it also.

started it up and ran it down the road several miles (can't go too far, no rear bumper, so no tag, and cops are trying to meet their quota, they would LOVE me right now). Oil light stayed off.

The only thing I saw was a slight flicker of the oil light when sitting idle after getting back, and that was hard to notice. I imagine the longer I run it, maybe it'll flash more but it seems like an improvement or a step in the right direction for now. not a cure all.

nowhere near as much ticking coming from the engine. getting better.

I know this is probably not the correct way to do things, these short cuts, but I'm not trying to fix it up to sell or anything. This is so similar to my Ranger that I enjoy, I figure it would be a good vehicle driving back and forth to work in. not for off roading or beating the hell out of it.
Did you stick with the same oil weight now? Plus no ticking yet either with that weight of oil?

Like others have said you can tinker and do bandaid fixes on that motor, but until you get a mechanical oil gauge in it to see whats going on for oil pressure you are just guessing whats its problem.

If it was mine I would just do the normal repairs to get it running good and just run it till she blows. If the motor is bad theres no sense sticking a ton of money in it. But I have limped a few weak motors for a long time and they just kept on running till I got sick of them and replaced them.

Have fun and keep doing what your doing. If it doesn't hurt your wallet to bad and you learn somethings thats all what matters.

So I take it the stock oil pressure gauge isn't really reliable then i take it?

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
Did you stick with the same oil weight now? Plus no ticking yet either with that weight of oil?

So I take it the stock oil pressure gauge isn't really reliable then i take it?

Haven't been running it much. It has an oil leak that needs to be addressed along with loosing coolant. I originally used 4 quarts of Havoline 10W40 and 1 quart of Lucas. Valves still tick, some work needs to be done there also.

I'm not sure about the reliability of the stock gauge, but I would guess that these guys/gals around here are correct in stating that an aftermarket mechanical gauge would be better.

I've got to clean up the engine, someone mentioned some type of dye you can put in the oil to find the leaks via ultraviolet light. Might try that if I can't find all the leaks.

One issue I'm having, it starts up super easy, runs good. after a few minutes, the idle will start going up and down, and a few times it'll shut off. also doesn't seem the power I would expect.

won't do it when it's warmed up, only when it's cold and idling.

Good little vehicle but it'll consume some time and money, so I've had to kinda put it on the side for now while I work with mammas van and my Jeep.
I plan on getting back to it hopefully this week, making a list of parts. seriously thinking about an engine swap after reading many post here.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That would be nice for the dye to find the leak, cuz I got a slow leak somewhere too and can't find it for the life of me.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
I did the dye thing and found a few leaks.

One thing about the dye, there are different types of dye you can put in, some are florecent and some are UV. I used the UV because that was what someone suggested. It requires a blacklight (good blacklight, not cheap walmart bulb) to find the leaks, and best to do at night after running the dye through it for a day or week.

The stuff I used was SuperSeal engine Dye and stop leak. It was available off the shelf. I didn't use the stop leak portion of it, from what I understand that's more for any rubber parts that are worn out and leaking, all it does is make them swell. Anyway, with the blacklight, it showed up decent, my leak was probably worse than yours and it took some time to pinpoint it. I'm not sure how the florecent stuff does.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I did the dye thing and found a few leaks.

One thing about the dye, there are different types of dye you can put in, some are florecent and some are UV. I used the UV because that was what someone suggested. It requires a blacklight (good blacklight, not cheap walmart bulb) to find the leaks, and best to do at night after running the dye through it for a day or week.

The stuff I used was SuperSeal engine Dye and stop leak. It was available off the shelf. I didn't use the stop leak portion of it, from what I understand that's more for any rubber parts that are worn out and leaking, all it does is make them swell. Anyway, with the blacklight, it showed up decent, my leak was probably worse than yours and it took some time to pinpoint it. I'm not sure how the florecent stuff does.
What did it all cost for the SuperSeal engine dye and stop leak?

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II

About 7 to 8 bucks for the bottle. It has two parts, one is the dye, the other the leak seal. I only used the dye portion.

ldbill39

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Problems with a B2, tell me it isn't so!

According to a Ford engineer I know, he said to drain out a little oil, about a quart, or just add a quart of trans fluid if it leaks, and run for a few days, basically just around the block or idle. He said to use Mercon V, that would be the best. Drain out the oil, and replace oil and filter. He said if it has high miles use 30w or 40w. I prefer Rotella T as it has zinc in it, it protects the bearings. As for the oil light flickering, it sounds like the low oil sensor is fouled. You can find it on the left side of the oil pan. As for ABS light, most of the B2's had problems with the ABS computer, it is in the left side panel right behind the drivers door. Most just unplug it, and it doesn't mess with the braking.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Engine-Super-Seal-Treatment-with-UV-Dye-and-Leak-Sealer-Interdynamics_7660007-P_N2049_T|GRP60033_____

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If your looking at an engine swap,you'll want to look at finding a wrecked explorer and put the 4.0 in.You'll have top swap engine, dash and wiring.Its not as hard as it sounds.Go checkout the tech library.There is a lot of info on the swaps and 2.9's in general
im not a fan of the 4.0 im thinking of goin with another 2.9 but goin with .30 over pistons. the 2.9s a torqee little motor. not to get too far off subject, but has anyone heard of a 2.9 with turbo? guy i work with swears he can mount an old toyota turbo to it. im willing to let him try when the time comes, itd be interesting

azbronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I defently recommend rotella T 15-40 I use it in all my vehicles