•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bronco ii shuts off when hot

dutinsss

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm new to the forum but i just picked up an '88 bronco II, 5 speed with 4x4. its completely stock and except for one problem, runs great. it will crank and run fine while its cold, but when it heats up and you try to accelerate, it will try to die and cut off. if your cruising it will do fine and i drove it 50 miles home, shut it off and it cranked right back up. when i was going down the rode, it started sputtering a lot worse and it just died. i turned the key and you can't hear the pump come on until you let it cool off. i suspected the ignition module, but the previous owner said it was only getting 6 volts to the pump that is on the frame rail, but he didn't know why. any help would be greatly appreciated because i'm ready to get it on the road with no worries. thanks!

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
check the voltage drop on the pump.
could be a bad ground wire.

dutinsss

Reaction score
i put in a new ignition module and it still skips when your accelerating and get to about 2500 rpms when its hot, but it hasn't tried to die on me yet. what is the correct way to test voltage drop at the pump? after i test that, i think i might do the tfi relocation.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
with a volt meter you would place the positive lead at the begining of the ground wire and the negitive to a known ground. (for the ground side.) should be no more than .002 volts or so. i dont have a wireing digram for it so im not sure how manny wires it has but for the positive side you would place the negitive probe as close to the pump (on the positive wire) as possable. and place the negitive probe as far away from the pump as you can.

sorry if you dont understand im not the best at explaining things. i could try to draw up a picture on paint better describing it.