•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II Tailgate Handle

bronco24x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Does anyone know where I can get a 1990 Bronco II tailgate handle? Or if another model can be used? The tailgate is solid, and does not have popup glass.

Attachments

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Your best bet is a junk yard. Knew I should have grabbed that handle when I was at Jalopy Jungle a couple weeks ago. They're getting hard to find.

Someone on another similar post mentioned an explorer handle will work, but I think something has to be modified on the handle for it to work.

Someone should answer here soon that has a better idea and more knowledge.

Flat Toy

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/2.5
The only mod you have to do to use the Explorer handle is enlarge the holes for the mounting studs.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I can also attest to what Flat Toy said, I've done it on an '85. You can use an Explorer handle from 91-97 (in 1998 they switched to a different style tailgate) on any BII from 85-90 by enlarging the holes slightly on the BII. 1984 is a different story since the key is integrated into the handle.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
So, all I have to do is enlarge the 2 side holes and put an Explorer handle on for glass/door and this is a pop in, bolt up and it works repair?

Just double checking before I start drilling the tailgate...mine has the glass that raises as well...still the same?

Last edited:

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
Take the BII handle off and try to fit the Explorer in it's place, it will become apparent if it will work or not.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
When I get it, I will find out for certain before I drill it...I bought a brand new Explorer one for $19.99 shipping and all.

I'm thinking the handle should work based on previous posts. Will not drill out the holes until I know for sure.

I will get by and get that other handle off the parts Bronco II for $5 or so and if it works I may wait before drilling out my back hatch.

I do like the fact of having the Explorer handle - NEW and should work great for many miles (my brother has a 96 Explorer that he beat the crap out of and it has almost 300k miles and his still works like a charm)!

Cool thing is right now, I can just reach through the hole and open it with my finger as I pull up the hatch...but then again, so can thieves...

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Take the BII handle off and try to fit the Explorer in it's place, it will become apparent if it will work or not.
Handle came in...it looks like it should work very well...gonna drill tomorrow to expand that hole.

Any BEST WAYS TO DRILL IT - I've got big bits so probably the route I'll go using the existing holes as pilots.

The center hole is too small as well...not much but just a tad.

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I used a step drill bit to do mine, works pretty well. You can pick up a two bit set at harbor freight for $10 using a coupon.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Tapatalk

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
I think where I messed up is not putting the bracket back on the inside (the metal piece that came off the old one in your pic above) - I used 2 large washers on each side...I'm wondering if it would just slide over now.

It works and works well - had to modify the tire carrier repair someone did on it before I bought it to get the handle on but the drill bit I had made two nice round holes and I slid it right in (had to enlarge the middle one just a tad).

I'll get some paint (desert tan and sand off that metal and clean it up)...trying to decide if I need to put that metal bracket on the inside of the door or not - think the washers are good enough?

Also, I've got to fix the door lock now - it's never worked (turn the handle and it unlocks it) but unless the key part is wore out I can't figure out why it doesn't work - played with it for half an hour trying to figure it out. Another project for another day...gotta research it...

superds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 90 2013
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/2.9/5.0
I would have used the backing plate. But, you could probably try it with the washers for a while and see how it goes before you go through the work of removing everything again.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Tapatalk

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
I would have used the backing plate. But, you could probably try it with the washers for a while and see how it goes before you go through the work of removing everything again.Sent from my SGH-i937 using Tapatalk
Yep, I should have! didn't think it would fit over new handle bolts...going to drill the holes out just a tad tonight and put it on there tomorrow - I didn't put the cover back on the inside so it won't take me long now...:icon_thumby:

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Also, I've got to fix the door lock now - it's never worked (turn the handle and it unlocks it) but unless the key part is wore out I can't figure out why it doesn't work - played with it for half an hour trying to figure it out. Another project for another day...gotta research it...
I found this out when my buddy asked me to look at his. If the rods for the striker release are too tight you can open the hatch even when it is locked. That's because the handle pushes on the strikers to unlock the hatch and it takes very little movement to do that. Basically, with no slack the handle pops the strikers before it hits the lock mechanism.

If you loosen the adjustment on the rods going to the strikers so that handle can move just bit it will hit the lock mechanism before releasing the strikers.