•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Bronco II vs. "the youth"

millermayhem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
This will be biased, asking this of a forum such as this, but if we were to compare the B2 to the modern mini SUV. ( CRV, Escape/Tribute, RAV4, Forester,whatever the hell KIA makes...) How would our stalwart soldier hold his own.

The modern examples would have a "nicer" ride.

the 4wd escape gets 25 mpg freeway, the v6 gets 20mpg based off the new EPA numbers. A 4 cylinder in a bronco should match or even exceed the Escape in the example for economy.

The B2 seems to be a sturdier 4wd comared to it's modern brethern. But I am new to 4wd (coming over from a sports car discipline) and I could be misinterpreting things.

OPINION WARNING: It looks like a damned truck. Like it would not crumple when a shopping cart hits it, or a branch tries to steal your paint.

Any one else, positive or negative. I'll even take a "Bronco II's are a girls ride and you need a man's Jeep" :yahoo::thefinger:

Last edited:

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i would say the bronco 2 with a 4.0 swap would be way better just cause it has a frame instead of a uni body and there are allot more parts availible for it if you are wanting a trail truck

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
What is it about them that you're trying to compare? As you suggested, they're very different vehicles with different design goals. Knowing what you want is the only way to really decide which one is 'better'.

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What is it about them that you're trying to compare? As you suggested, they're very different vehicles with different design goals. Knowing what you want is the only way to really decide which one is 'better'.

ditto. a BII IS a truck. it just has a shell over the bed. its old, its heavy, and there are next to no safety features. but it fits my qualifications for an offroad/part time DD.

the other vehicles listed are cars with tall bodies. modern safety equipment, and a cushy ride.

run both into a brick wall at the same speed, and you'll probably be safer in the "car"

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I've looked at this, and feel it's a valid question for many.

The main factors are looks, safety and cost. If that's the important order for you (image before cost), get a new miniSUV. It is VERY difficult to find BII's in really nice shape (that do not require a lot of DIY work).

Gas mileage:
Gas mileage will likely be better with a new small SUV, but 1) consider REAL mileage vs. EPA values. An acquaintance just bought a new Escape, and isn't getting near the EPA values. and 2) do the calc over an extended time period - for each 10,000 miles driven, at $3/USG, the difference between 17 MPG (realistic BII mileage - yes others claim better) and 23MPG is $461. Not really a lot in the big picture.

Comfort and convenience:
The BII, (sorry gang) are crude and unrefined in ride, noise, comfort and convenience relative to a new SUV. Just that simple. Riding in a newer SUV is more like riding in a passenger car. Riding in a BII is not.

Safety:
My '87 BII does not have two of the most important safety devices put in autos. Anti-lock brakes and air bags. I'm not sure you can add ABS or bags without a lot of DIY work. The newer SUVs, of course, have all this.

4 Wheelin:
Most of the new mini-SUV's are not really designed for serious 4-wheeling or off-road use. Many have no limited slip on either sets of wheels. My BII, even without my limited slip carriers installed (maybe later this summer?), will outperfom my girlfriend's 2005 CR-V in the snow, ice and mud. Except for that ABS braking thing . . . .

Purchase Cost:
No comparison. BII's in reasonable/nicer shape can be had for $2000-$3000, depending on location. You'll most likely get a piece of shxt for that same amount of money buying a used newer mini-SUV. New SUV? ~$20,000+???? Monthly payments on a new SUV???? Ouch!

Operating Cost:
Insurance:
BII: minimal relative insurance cost, especially if collision insurance is required for financing of a new vehicle. (Don't bother with collision on your BII - book value is very low.) Annual insurance saving can be huge on a BII relative to a new SUV.
Repairs/Upkeep:
Most BII's are now > 20 years old, so do not have to pass safety or emissions inspections in many states (if registered as historic). But they WILL require periodic (lots of periodic) maintenance and $$$. I'd budget $100/month - if you are a DIY guy.
Maintenance on a new/newer vehicle should be low at first, but will likely average about the same within a short time.

Depreciation:
Wow! BII depreciation (for a '86 to '90) is VERY low on an annual basis. This will be in the $thousands$ per year for a new/newer mini-SUV.

Character:
Hey, I love my BII. Don't know why.
A very nicely restored BII will turn more heads than a new genericSUV.
A non-restored BII (like mine) will not turn heads. Unless it is to turn away.
Girlfriend doesn't like my BII parked at her house (still leaks a bit).

Added bonus:
Nobody plays chicken (turns into my lane, tries to butt in front of me, etc.) while I'm driving my "full character" BII! They know better.

If you are interested in 4-wheeling, and/or do your own auto repairs, and/or don't mind being seen in an old vehicle, and/or are cost conscious - join us here. If you just want wheels that can get you to work on most snowy days (4WD capability), but are image or comfort conscious - hello genericminiSUV.

Good Luck!
CraigK

millermayhem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Im going for a "compare and contrast" not for a clear winner.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Im going for a "compare and contrast" not for a clear winner.
BII wins offroad and depending on opinion looks. They are cheaper and easier to fix, but you will never get your money back out of them.

Newer ones win everything else.

CJREX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
One area that has not been mentioned yet, but may be a big factor, is stereo system.

Most newer vehicles have a system from the factory that is nigh impossible to change without mucho custom work. Many are integrated into other systems in the car which basically means NO change.

A BII has a typical DIN chassis slot. The aftermarket deck availability is literally endless.

I know. Probably not a big factor. But I get rental cars all the time. And my first thought in many of them is that if it were mine, the stereo would have to go.

millermayhem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
never thought of the car audio... guess we need something to drown out the unrefined ride!

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
B2 has a frame.
B2 is made in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
B2 is fun to drive
B2 is made in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:yahoo:

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
B2 has a frame.
B2 WAS made in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
B2 is fun to drive
B2 WAS made in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:yahoo:
:icon_rofl: :thefinger: :beer:

Personally, I could not begin to compare a BII with a new SUwhatever. They are two different breeds.

Will

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I disagree. I think they had the same design goal and I think the Escape executes it much better.

Would I rather my wife take off for work every day in a B2--15 miles of winding roads, no shoulders with trees right on the edge and creeks as well--add the that minimal maintenance and snowplowing that occurs whenever the county gets to it?

Hell no! You think if Ford had the Escape available to fill this niche in 1983 they would have launched the B2? The B2 is a piece of shit. You can't access the back seat unless you are a patient midget; it comes with too-soft springs; it has lap belts in the rear and minimal roll protection for rear passengers. It's underpowered with 140hp. The mileage is comparable with new stuff though. It's okay.

The only question is which is capable of modification and the B2 is clearly the only one. The erector set construction allows you to throw away the axles and drivetrain and install something decent. It was an error on Ford's part that makes this possible. If they could have made the Escape 25 years ago they would have.

I like my B2 alot, but it's for what it is not for what I am pretending it is. Mine has a 500# steel snowblade on the front. I have no plans to attach the blade to my wife's Pilot. But an Escape is perfect capable of handling 4x4 chores. I need a hill tractor, not a little SUV so I have a B2 in the motorpool still. And with the jobs I give it--it's as happy as a gopher in soft dirt.

Bondo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 87, 88,99
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 3.0
Well I guess I could add my 2 cents to this thread being that I have BIIs/Rangers and my wife has an 05 Escape.

First off the Escape stereo system is a huge disappointment. It has decent sound till you feel the urge to crank up beyond 3/4 volume, (which is always), then it decides to cut back on the levels to (I assume) make the speakers last longer. Maybe its to prevent hearing damage?? This makes the music sound like utter crap. If Ford put a decent speaker in its vehicles it wouldnt need this prevent mentality and we could enjoy loud tunes regardless of what our "EQ" settings were on.

Off road the Escape is pretty decent in the mild to medium stuff. It could use a tad more ground clearance though, and it obviously isnt suited for the heavy stuff. In the snow it is damn near perfect and performs way beyond what I had originally thought it could. Our 05 is full auto 4wd without the selecting knob the older ones had. When it senses the need to kick in the rear tires, it isnt even noticeable. If I recall, it deploys 40% of the power/traction to the rear with the front keeping the other 60%. It is very good in the snow and I can vouch for that. We get plenty of snow up here in Maine to reach a good conclusion too.

The 3.0 isnt what I would call a powerhouse, and at 4520 GVW the Escape is a tad underpowered. Its not insanely doggy, but this E-85 gas isnt helping it out. MPG is around 16-18 when hopping around town, and at the most 24 on the highway in OD.

My stock 88 BII is run in the woods to haul firewood, and it is nimble enough to go where there is no sign of a trail. Its short, narrow and light (with the top cut off) and has plenty of get up and go when the going gets tough. To be fair, I have no problems with banging off trees and squeezing between rocks to make it fit either, but it will fit where the Escape would never begin to.....and it loves it.

When driving my 86 BII and our old 85 years ago, the driving vision was pretty limited. Backing up wasnt anywhere as easy as the Escape. The windshield and windows are more "driver friendly" than the BII and that vision is pretty handy in any situation.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Compare/contrast...IMO.

Looks-
BII- I think it wins, hands down, with its squared off lines and slab sided figure. It screams rough and tumble.
"THe youth"- Yuck. If i wanted a Minivan, i woulda bought one.

On Road-
BII- Kinda primative, old fashioned, and trucky. Heavy vauge steering and not the greatest for emergency manuvers. However, it was designed To be a "Multi-Purpose passenger vehicle" meaning its main purpose in life was to be a mountain goat that can carry more then 2 passengers.
The Youth- Designed with soccor moms in mind. Good steering, lots of road feel, drives like a camry, i guess these win on road.

Off Road-
BII- TTB front suspension, ground clearence, frame, and stouter panels, less eletronics to get wet, no driver interferance devices (ABS, traction control, etc) make the BII and more then capable off roader.
The youth- Gets embarassed in this catagory. Sure they may do fine with 3 inches of snow on a gravel road, but take them well off the beaten path, or on some 4wheeler trails and you'll scrape off most of the underbody, dent and possible rip off tin can panels, and make the ABS and traction control all sorts of confused. BII wins hands down in this dept.

Comfort-
BII- Atleast to me the overstuffed inviting seats of an XLT and the open and airy cockpit make me comfortable. You knees arnt banging the dash and you dont have to worry about taking your eyes off the road to adjust climate or radio controls.

The Youth- Confusing, cramped, the seats lack padding, but the back seats are more roomy and comfy.

Fuel Mileage/power-
BII- The 2.9L does very well i think to move around the BII, a race car it is not but there torquey little SOB's that will climb right over an hump or hill or rock in the way. Fuel mileage isnt too far off from the new ones, high teens low 20s.

The youth- Horsepower is there, torque is not. Who really wants to rev to 5000RPM to get into power? I sure dont. Fuel mileage isnt much better, low to mid 20's.

New SUVs suck. All of them. The fullsizes, minis, and midsizes. Ford absoultly ruined the Expedition in 03 with IRS and unibody, Dodge made the durango so damn ugly no one this side of a blind man would want it, and GM's new SUV's are so watered down theres barely and Silverado left in them.

Peronsally, 2 solid axles, a good stout engine, and a 4sp is all ya need.

later,
Dustin

Clem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ranger XLT
Vehicle
1986 Bronco II,
Engine Size
Ranger-4.0 B2-2.9
After reading all the responses to date and being old and BIASED, I have to say, get whatever appeals to YOU!
But don't plan on using that new SUV to go where the venerable old BII or any Ranger is going off road, unless you don't care about the dents, sprung body panels and an increase in your insurance premiums.
A new Escape used by one of the locals didn't last through the hunting season last year. The first road trip encountered a large rut that dented the external panel into the interior panel, (that was the beginning of the end). 3 months after the Escape was purchased on a flat concrete floor, the right front corner and left rear corner were over 3" different height than the other side. The Escape was totaled in 3 months with 1600 miles on it.
The moral here is, the guys brother went everywhere the Escape went and some places the Escape wouldn't go, with about the same amount of fuel and that was done in a 87 BII. The BII is still running with an original 2.9 and 210,000 miles. By the way, the BII pulled the Escape out of a number of stuck places, but the Escape never pulled the BII once.
So you get whatever you want, a pavement driver (newer SUV) or a go most anywhere, old framed SUV.
YOUR DECISION, make it, then live with it!