•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

bronco2 tire carrier on a exploder 2door

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
just wondering how hard it is to put a bronco2 tire carrier on a exploder 2 door, carrying my spare on the roof is killing fuel milage, carrying it inside is blocking my view of my rear window and killing cargo space:annoyed:. what kind of work would i have to do?

hopster

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
I have seen this done but they just cut the sheet metal and welded it on. If I was goin to do it I would reinforce the inside of the corner and weld nuts on the backside in the correct locations and just bolt it on.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
I have seen this done but they just cut the sheet metal and welded it on. If I was goin to do it I would reinforce the inside of the corner and weld nuts on the backside in the correct locations and just bolt it on.
hmmmm what to do

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Well, as you're a fabricator, I would take a very close look at the BII and see if you can reproduce the attachments and reinforcement on your Explorer. I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't get it to work.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Well, as you're a fabricator, I would take a very close look at the BII and see if you can reproduce the attachments and reinforcement on your Explorer. I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't get it to work.
thats the thing, i thoughts about that. but im worried about the body beaing ripped to shreds by the 31 inch spare bounceing on the carrier

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Oh.. I would be too. I would have to think twice about that one. I don't think it would be such a big deal though as long as you reinforce the mount on the hatch, or even re-engineer it so it uses a longer bracket with 3 bolts instead of two. That's carrying the largest part of the load because once you get the rack latched, the two bolts for the hinge (body side) of the rack are mosty subjected to vertical shear force.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Oh.. I would be too. I would have to think twice about that one. I don't think it would be such a big deal though as long as you reinforce the mount on the hatch, or even re-engineer it so it uses a longer bracket with 3 bolts instead of two. That's carrying the largest part of the load because once you get the rack latched, the two bolts for the hinge (body side) of the rack are mosty subjected to vertical shear force.
yep thats very true, i was looking at it today and i have the handle to open the glass/hatch, so that would mean the tire carrier would need a total reworking..

Ruffinit

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Get some pics up if you decide to do this, sounds like it will take some work, but it's surely do-able. If you decide to go ahead, you may have to put some wheel spacers on it to get those bigger tires to bolt up onto the carrier also as the lugs may be too short.