•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Budget b2 build up

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Buddy and I decided to get something together as a joint venture to keep total cost down on the individual and split wheeling time out on the trail.

Picked this 84 up last year as it sits below for 400 bucks green stickered. Seller was an idiot who had barely any oil in it, trying to sell it quick and had 39" tires on a b2 w/ stock axles. Put some new fluids in it, a muffler and a new ignition key lock cylinder. Traded the 39's for some 35" tires
Into total truck for about -$600 including flush of all fluids.
Took it to the Rubicon and made it from loon to buck island and back w/ no breakages on stock axles :-o

Shot with DSC-T1 at 2008-07-10

Shot with DSC-T1 at 2008-07-08

Wheeled it for a year like that

Shot at 2008-08-19

Need stronger drive train.
Picked up an Early bronco Dana 30 front axle completely rebuilt w/ 4.10 gears, radius arms w/ new c-bushings, two track bars, two sets of steering and 2.5” lift James duff variable rate coils for an early bronco- all for -$200 total.
My current driveshaft bolted right in to the 30 and stays in w/ a fully cycled suspension.
We’ll wait to find that perfect deal on a Dana 44 then weld the spiders. Were keeping the 30 open for reliability purposes.

Went to ruff stuff specialties as its a couple miles away and picked up a diff cover for w/ recessed bolt holes. -$80

Shot at 2009-06-30

Got the eb radius arms bolted up to the stock b2 radius arm brackets moved back on the frame.

Got a rear Toyota 8” axle w/ welded spiders and 4.10 gearing and a beefy pipe cap welded to the rear for rock rash. -$125 total Leafs bolted in in stock perch positions
I’ll get brighter pick in the daylight

Shot with DSC-T1 at 2009-06-30

Sold the lift that came w/ the truck +$200

Put together a 7 leaf pack w/ leaves laying around from an exploder, an add a leaf we had from a Cherokee, and a few b2 leaves.-$0

Shot at 2009-06-30

Rough country lift shackles for a Cherokee -$42

Brake lines and fittings -$28

Shock Towers to an f-250 from the ford dealer -$31
Using some chepo procomp shocks we had laying around

Made the track bar bracket – $25-$35 in steel

T bar Bracket bolted in but not welded yet

Rear driveshaft bolted in after I drilled new holes in the Yota flange

Drilled front wheels and bought 2 new ones for the rear -$120
To any naysayers this is trailered only and does not exceed high speeds. Only for crawlen and dicken around in the mountains.
I’ll try and get better pics of everything in the daylight.

So far were into it for about $1050

Need to get the exhaust fabbed up for clearance and then we’ll be on the con this weekend for the 4th of July.

Last edited:

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
WOW this thread gives me hope!
Great Build guys...
Stock axles? Thats pretty sweet...

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Yes the front is a stock rebuilt 30 w/ stock 4.10 gears
Rear is stock toyota 8" w/ stock 4.10 gears and welded spiders. I really wanted a third member for the rear for trail ease of trail repairs, can't afford a ford 9" so toyota 8 it is. The axles are 31 spline stock so it should hold up.

this is budget right down to the tools used. angle Grinders for all the notching and fitment, old lincoln 225 amp arc welder for all the welding, also used the arc welder to trim the cross member and cut the stock shocks mounts out.
I'll get more pics tomorrow of the rear axle shock mounts and other shit.

Last edited:

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Prob a stupid question but
What kind of lift was/is on there to have 39's...

Shoot now i know this im excited haha

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Not sure of brand but it was a 6" drop bracket lift in the front and a 4" block in the rear with a body that is choppe dto shit. Every bracket was bent when i took them off after a year of wheeling it myself. It didnt' clear the 39's well at all. They rubbed on every turn and every little pebble of a rock. God knows how the front end held up, to those and the beatings we gave it with the 35's. I think he may have had the stock shafts cryo'd.

TheNicky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What are you running these days?
Lift/Axle

I got your PM Lemme talk to a buddy see what he thinks... if you didnt know im pretty new to all this stuff... so yea

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
the lift and axles i'm running is in the first post about my build up. I just cut off the shock mounts on 7.5 to weld to the yota axle so if you want it you have to weld new shock mounts on.