•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Buggy sprung rearend.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Anybody done buggy springs under their RBV?
Any reason I shouldn't?
I've always been interested in them I think they are too cool.
I been watching these guys videos http://www.youtube.com/user/UmpquaOffRoad , and I really like the buggy springs on the back of the little blue LandCruiser(?). next winter I plan to improve my rear suspension. (this will coincide with when I want to put an 8.8 in, so spring perch's are at my mercy) I see no reason I couldn't do a spring-under-frame style operation like the toyotas and then add a buggy spring at the back, which shackles to the regular leaf.

I would be doing this for the (anticipated) additional flex, and for suspension tune-ability. (I can move the buggy spring mount forwards or backwards)

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
A "traditional" 4-link is more adjustable and desireably as far as geometry through travel is concerned. All the buggy-sprung rings I've seen have pretty bad flex-steer when the axle drops.

I like the idea, but I think there are easier/better ways to build a rear suspension.

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also arent streetable unless you make it so can "pin" the buggy spring in place for street use. But like JohnnyU said they're are better ways to build a rear suspension. The easiest thing to do is to run Yota rear springs, like Allpro, Marlin Crawler or Trail-Gear. They are damn near bolt in, extend your wheelbase mildy, flex like crazy and aren't that expensive. I bought Trail-Gears 3" springs for my project. They gave me about 6" of lift and moved my axle back 1-1.5". They only cost $200 for the pair, have 7 leafs and are rated at 235lbs per inch. If they're a little to stiff I can remove a leaf and drop about 35lbs per inch. Thats getting pretty soft though.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
I supose this could easily turn into a bad axle hop situation... But, i'm still interested.

What does flex-steer mean? "When the back axle flexs through suspension travel it is no longer perpendicular to the frame. Thus steering? or Dogwalking?" ??

I wonder if this would still be roadable.... I want this thing road worthy, well, at least until one day when I inadvertently wreck the cab bad enough. lol

Edit: I was writing same time as Maverick.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
The axle will try to move left or right, so you would need a track bar or something similar to prevent it. It's also a good idea to pin the buggy spring for road use or the back will tend to get awfully high during hard stops, perhaps dangerously so. It can be done but might need a little tweeking to get it the way you want it.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
If you were to use the springs as springs, and use a 3 or 4 link for axle location then it would still be semi-streetable.

I still think a pair of XJ coils out back coupled with a triangulated 4-link and you'd be dialed in. Make provisions to swap to coilovers later and you'd only have to "fab" everything up once.

EDIT:
This is flex steer:
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/quarterellip/images/Image10.gif

READ ME

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Vehicle
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
If I were you, I would simply add a large piece of angle to the side of your frame right above the axle. Sandwich your half leaf between this and another plate, and remove your rear shackle hanger. This would make it very easily reversible if it doesn't do what you want it to. To take care of the axle wrap, make a single traction bar, running from two fixed points on your axle (upper and lower) with a heim at the frame end. Also add a shackle between the heim and the frame mount, and this will take care of most of your axle wrap, while still allowing it to articulate. If you 3 or 4 link this system, it will inhibit some of the flex, because the front half of the main leaf won't be able to straighten out because of the link bars.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Willys,Ford,Jee
that no landcrusier, that pice of american iron. its whats left of a old willys truck...mid 40-mid 50's era.

dont forget about 1/4 eliptic spring set ups too....old and out dated but just anouther way.....think of a 4 link with half of a leaf pack.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Vehicle
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
After watching that video a few times, that is not your typical buggy spring setup, or 3/4 eliptical. That is a full eliptic setup. :icon_surprised: It looks like he also somehow has the front linked to the rear. It's hard to get a get a good view of the entire setup, but it is very impressive.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
After watching that video a few times, that is not your typical buggy spring setup, or 3/4 eliptical. That is a full eliptic setup. :icon_surprised: It looks like he also somehow has the front linked to the rear. It's hard to get a get a good view of the entire setup, but it is very impressive.
I think you are right, it IS VERY impressive. Have a look at this video at the 11 second mark guys (and the 1:44 mark, and 2:12 shows the front)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrxji6zDxDM&feature=related

Initially when you said "front linked to the rear" I thought "WTF, why/how would you want that???!??" But I think you are right again, I think they are linked, I think the frame contacts suspesion at three main points, where each upside-down leaf meets the frame and at the piviot point for the front/back leaf sway bar. I wounder how well the blue truck would bounce if you could pick it straight up and drop it straight down. He must have like a 84" (approx) wheelbase.

chris123743

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So did you every try the Elliptical suspension? My buddy put one on his Taco and it works great. He used a piece of C- channel weldes to the frame and a piece of tubing as his shackel mount mount. A bolt joins the tubing to and the c-channel at the front making a hinge. Instead of the pressure of the spring pushing down on the axle it uses the axle weight. I like the spring way better and wanted to know if you liked the set up.