•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

C5 to C4 swap

wrifraff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
An empty hole:(
I've posted a topic like this before but I can't find it again. I have a 1979 C4 2wd out of an F-150 and a C5 out of my Bronco II. The C5 wouldn't shift through the gears automatically and I never figured out why. I bought the C4 with the 302 I'm planning to swap in. I was told I could remove the tailshaft from the C5 and put it in the C4, but I can't figure out how to get the tailshaft out of the C5. Can anyone tell me how to get it out? Would it even work in the C4?:shout:

Last edited:

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
the trans. has to be tore completely apart.....

wrifraff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It is torn apart on my workbench right now. I tore into it yesterday thinking it would be something easy, but I guess not. I have the tailshaft housing off and the valve body out too. How much farther down does it have to be torn down?

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Most times there is just a snap ring that holds the tailshaft in place....and then it slides
out the back toward the endhousing...

Oh, the planetary and everything on the shaft has to be pulled off to get to the snap ring.

wrifraff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Will the tailshaft even work in the C4?

wrifraff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Will I need to do any modifications to any other components in the C4? (other than the tailshaft housing and tailshaft)

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
not that i can think of.....should just bolt right up....did you get that shaft out?

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Not sure about that C-5, but the V8 model C-5's are an inch or so longer than a C-4. This is due to the deeper bellhousing and lockup converter. Just something to double check with what you're doing.

wrifraff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
not that i can think of.....should just bolt right up....did you get that shaft out?
No, I haven't had time. I'll try and get out there today and do something. The only problem I'm having right now is that this is my first time tearing down a transmission. How do I get everything out? The only thing I have left bolted on the transmission is the bellhousing. Do I have to go in through there, or am I overlooking something?

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
yep, right thru the bellhousing bolts.....once they are out, everything slides out the front.....

wrifraff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I got everything out and the tailshaft out, but I'm probably not going to crack open the C4 until I get a little closer to putting it all in the truck. Will I have to use the snap ring to hold it in in the C4? Will it just slide in?

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
yes, and yes..

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I got everything out and the tailshaft out, but I'm probably not going to crack open the C4 until I get a little closer to putting it all in the truck. Will I have to use the snap ring to hold it in in the C4? Will it just slide in?
How are you comming on this? Have you tried it yet?