•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Can I swap the drivetrain from an 86 Bronco II into a 90 Bronco II???

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I came across a perfect 90 BII that was owned by this old couple and the thing is in really good shape. It has a 2.9 V6, automatic, 4WD and it doesnt run and the tranny is shot. (it sat for years due to the tranny and I tried everything to get it running). Anyway, my 86 runs great, but the body is shot. It also is a 2.6, auto, 4WD.

Can I make a direct swap of the motor, tranny, transfer case between the two?? I know the 90 has the beefed up Dana 35 (which is what I wanted) but other than that, are there any differences or can this be as easy of a swap as i hope???

Thanks in advance!!!!

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
should be easy if any rhing looks different sensor wise just swap stuff from the 90 engine to the 86 engine may also want to swap the heads from the 90 engine to yours also because the 90 heads were less likly to crack

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
should be easy if any rhing looks different sensor wise just swap stuff from the 90 engine to the 86 engine may also want to swap the heads from the 90 engine to yours also because the 90 heads were less likly to crack
Thanks man! I hear u on the heads, but since my 86 is running good...I think I will just do a straight swap.

So will the 90 shifter linkage (tranny and transfer case) bolt right up to the 86 A4LD and transfer case? My 86 has both shifters on the floor. The 90 has the tranny shifter on the steering column and the transfer case on the floor.

Also, are the drive shafts the same??

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
drive shafts should be the same and as far as the shifter linkages use the ones on the 90 for the tranny the t case should be ok tho