•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Can't afford a lift--But new front springs?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Ok Campers.

Money got wrapped up fixing the wife's car. (it blew the radiator when we started to work on the exhaust...just old age and high miles.)

My front tires are pretty well toasted due to the camber being really off. Anyone looking at my truck in the pics? Can see the top of the tires are pretty well tilted in, and the front end looks a bit saggy.

I asked one of the older techs at the local alignment shop (He's great with twin-i-beam ford trucks) He looked at it and mentioned it wouldn't make any sense to spend upwards of $350-$400 to align it (labor, camber kits, alignment costs...etc...) He stated the best course of action? Replace the front coil springs and that should lift the body about 1-2" to get rid of the sag..and it should leverage/tilt the tires back to where they need to be.

So that comes to my question. I can find all kinds of front coil springs for my truck IF it had 4wd. It's 2WD with the dummy transfer case, and normal twin i-beam suspension at the front.

We need to find a replacement set. At this point lifting it? Not really happening due to lack of funds. (And trust me...the rear springs are also shot.....)

Any ideas? Would the 4wd springs also fit this application?

Thanks!

S-

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
I'm pretty sure that 4x4 and 2wd have the same springs, especially in the b-2 where they had the same axle suspension mounts for both.

Richard

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll be ordering in the parts for the tiburon on Friday, and a set of front springs for the bronco. Once the tibby is on the road? The bronco goes off while I redo some leaky engine gaskets and address the front springs.

Sad part is the rear springs are shot to he&&. First time I've ever seen leaf springs with a reverse 'bow' at the axle tubes where they mount on. We have helper springs back there to stiffen it up and it helps keeping the rear oversize tires from smacking into the fenders.

S-

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I asked one of the older techs at the local alignment shop (He's great with twin-i-beam ford trucks) He looked at it and mentioned it wouldn't make any sense to spend upwards of $350-$400 to align it (labor, camber kits, alignment costs...etc...) He stated the best course of action? Replace the front coil springs and that should lift the body about 1-2" to get rid of the sag..and it should leverage/tilt the tires back to where they need to be.
Dude... Whatever you do, don't you ever, EVER lose contact with a guy like that, he is gold. Not only was he knowledgeable about the suspension, but to top that off he was honest too. Guys like that simply don't exist in many areas.

Yes, 4x4 and 2WD coils are interchangeable. :icon_thumby:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Dude... Whatever you do, don't you ever, EVER lose contact with a guy like that, he is gold. Not only was he knowledgeable about the suspension, but to top that off he was honest too. Guys like that simply don't exist in many areas.

Yes, 4x4 and 2WD coils are interchangeable. :icon_thumby:

Oddly enough? The suspension shop? Happens to be our local Monro. I've had random dealings with them. The guy welded a pipe to the rear converter for the Tib....due to a rusted out set of flanges. He did all that work, hands it to me and says "There you go, let it cool off and have a great day!". No charge? I tipped him <G> some green backs for the beer and coffee fund. They also patched a tire and rebalanced it free of charge for me, and helped with our Probe GT's struts when the rubber mounts broke.

So this is a rare shop...Spendy if they do work on the books.. But decent people.

I'll get the stock coils ordered in. I'd love to do a lift. Our current tires are 235x15...on 12+ wide wheels (looks like donuts on rims...) They do not rub, so that's good.

Thanks again!

S-