•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Catalytic converter needed?

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
More on the saga of my 86 BII barely running. I’ve been told by my shop (after they replaced plugs, wires, fixed 180 out timing and tried a new ECM) that I have a bad cat - it’s maybe plugged causing the engine to run at less than 100%. Some background - much of the fuel and ignition system is new. New ECM did nothing. So… can I just cut the cat off and have pipe welded in? Are there any idiot lights that will come on as a result? Shop wanted like $900 to replace it, and with everything we’ve done to this truck, who knows if this will help with the core problem.

I’ve googled a replacement, wth is that thing, a double in-line cat or a cat/resonator? And it’s a dual in / single out? I will be selling as soon as this job is completed, opinions on what to do?

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
It’s illegal in most states if not all to not have a cat on the exhaust. If you live in an area that requires inspection, it will fail without a cat.
I believe it’s all cat.
It does appear to be double in single out.
If you are doing work yourself, research before you dig in.
Throwing parts at a problem complicates repairs. Find the issue and repair it.
If a shop is working on it find one that knows what they are doing. Seems the world is full of bad mechanics. Willingness does not mean able to repair , only willingness to take your money.
If you still decide to sell it you won’t have a hard time.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If you don't have cat installed, expect to experience the smelly and eye watering experience we all had before the 80's :)
I had an exhaust shop put a much less expensive after market cat on my BII. We don't have inspections here.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I think that’s the route I’m going to take if I don’t get it sold by Friday, I have an appointment with the muffler shop that will put a aftermarket cat in complete for $470. The regular shop wanted $1000+ for a replacement bolt-in. If it cures the issue, then it goes on Autohunter.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
F that! I replaced my entire exhaust system from the downpipe back, including a catalytic converter and cat-back exhaust AND new O2 system for around $400.

When I bought it the cat was deleted and it sounded awful and smelled even worse. It idles like an EV now and barely makes any noise...

In hindsight I absolutely could have saved about $75 over that by going with this catalytic converter instead:

The one I bought needed the downpipe flange to be trimmed roughly 3/8ths of an inch, which literally took seconds with a Sawz-All...