•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Changing an oil pump

baddmove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I think my oil pump is going out in my 89 B II, here's why i think that. First, it will run fine til it warms up, then it starts to get louder/grumpier sounding and when i stop at a light my oil light starts to flicker, I have flushed the oil system twice in the last 8 months. So, if any of you have had this problem, please let me know what you think and what is involved in changing the oil pump..

thanks..BM

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
Everything I've read.....seems to be a pain in the @ss to do the oil pump. Maybe there is a shortcut someone knows but nothing I've seen indicates so.

shadman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I had a cracked oil pan and had to pull the engine to replace it. I figure you have to do the same for the oil pump. While you are at it, install a new oil pan gasket and change out the rear main seal.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
X2 on pulling the motor. I wouldn't dick around trying to do It with the motor in. If u have the moneyget a full gasket set while its out. Also get a screen. Have u tried auto rx? U can google it. Basically it liquifies gunk and drains with your oil. I'd get a few treatments of it before changing the pump to clean the motor out

basilfaulty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Sounds to me like it needs bearings. When it warms up it loses pressure is classic symptoms of a bearing issue more than a pump issue. Pull the motor and put rod bearings and main bearings in it and a pump. If you plan on keeping it for a while why not do a rebuild?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Good news for you, the 2.9L is not bad to pull at all. You can pull it in about 5hours, give or take.
Just remember to get that stupid tool for the "Quick disconect" fuel line fittings. Also someone else stated main and rod bearings, for the most part the oilpumps in these motors dont fail offten. But im sure somewhere at sometime it has happend. M128 is the Melling stock replacement pump, M328 is the high volume version. It does cost a bit more but helps to address the low pressure issues the 2.9L & 4.0L are known for.
While your in there pop the caps on the main and rod bearings, plastigage is cheep and will indicate any uneven ware or to much ware. this is something you should not over look. Specs for clearences for the 2.9L are 0.0006-0.0016 for the conecting rod lower end bearing clearance, and 0.0008-0.0015 for main bearing clearance. That should get you started, so grab a 30pack:icon_cheers: and jump in.

baddmove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Thanks all..I decided to just sell it since i have 2 of them..I just don't have the time anymore to do all that work...but still...thanks for the replies...:beer: