•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Chevy 63" leaf springs in a bronco II

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
dude i was asking about chevy 1/2 ton springs. Not cherokee.

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i think the body mount would interfere with the spring

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
tomorrow i'll take some pics of how i did it and post them up

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Why bother? putting a B2 body on a Chevy frame has nothing to do with what the OP was asking about.
actually it has everything to do with it since i have a broncoII, with 63" leaves. my front body mounts sit directly over my spring shackle. it has nothing at all to do with what frame the body sits on, i still encountered the exact same problem........and solved it
but i guess you are speaking on behalf of the op and therefore denying him my pertinant info

just because the two "C"-shaped rails were stamped out in a gm factory not ford, are no more than 1" difference in spacing, the exact same diameter channel (6" i.d.), identical wheelbase........how about you go ahead and back up your original statement. and tell me how mine is different

**edit here are pics (if its okay with COPYKAT)

as i said my body mount sits directly over the shackle so i got from my local steel shop 2 4"x4"x3/16" plates and had them shear one diagonally and used the triangles to gusset the flat top. and then trimmed the one side to allow the shackle to swing outward. this mount's open underside doesn't interfere with the shackle like the stock bII would here it is with a stck bII rubber body isolator:

maybe you could use the shackles from the chevy those 4 rivets in the pic hold the shackle on the other side of the frame-rail but welding or grade8 bolts instead of rivets will be just as strong if not stronger

Last edited:

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
thanks for posting those pics that looks good. I was hoping to keep my springs out board so i don't have to grind and weld in new spring perches but shit now i have something to thing about. It looks easier to just integrate them with the body mount. And i don't think copykat meant to insult, it seams he was just stating what he thought was the obvious seeing as he knew your sitiation. friends not foe's.

Wheel on

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Anything with cherokee= Cheap No B.S.
Please post your ignorance elsewhere. I've had 3 and loved them all and am currently building one to race jeepspeed. Anything built properly can wheel.
I put a pack together that contained leafs with different thicknesses, the thicker one being the cherokee add a leaf bent the b2 main leaf because the b2 main was thinner. I knew it was going to happen i just didn't think it'd happen after only two rubicon missions.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
What a boring display of information.

The OP wanted to know about "Rear axle" springs. The one you posted is of a front leaf setup.

Flaws in your Brilliant answer.

1. Your using a chevy frame. so you had to make body mounts. didn't have to work around the factory ones. Likely needed a 3 or 4" body lift to clear the frame.

2. Your spring setup is under the frame, Now I hope you boxed the other side in to help support your shackle pivot.

3. the setup your refering to is on the front not on the back.

Next time you think you have a brilliant answer think about what the OP was asking about, before you go spilling info.

It's like me saying that I built a Cherokee once. all I did was put new tires on it.

87xjmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Oh i didn't realize that was the front. I'm at work and just glanced at it quickly. Yeah man i was inquiring on a rear spring set up. I have already installed an early bronco straight front axle with a coil set up and i prefer coils or airshocks up front (coilovers in a ideal world with money raining on me)

Andres629

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Listen to CopyKat. He is master of all things RBV. Well, almost. He's tied with a couple other guys on here. :icon_bounceblue: