•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Clutch Replacement?

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I've noticed that my clutch is going and I would like to replace it this weekend. Con I put a 10" clutch kit in my 84 B2 or should I just go w/ OEM.
I posted in the trans forum a couple of days ago and havn't got a reponse yet.
I have the TK-5 Tranny. Any input would be very helpful. Please keep in mind that I have never done this repair before. So I need to know what mods have to be done for the 10" clutch

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
From what i have read you would have to change the flywheel for the 4.0 L. and you would have to switch to the 4.0L starter as well, which will require some rewiring. I believe you would also have to clearance the bellhousing to fit the larger flywheel. Ive read that its a good upgrade but personaly i have never had a problem with a stock clutch behind that "power house" of a 2.8.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
i did the swap on my 88 2.9 cost about 350ish with flywheel clutch kit and starter.

Edit: i did this with a buddy that is what it cost me for the materials.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
i did the swap on my 88 2.9 cost about 350ish with flywheel clutch kit and starter.

Edit: i did this with a buddy that is what it cost me for the materials.
Does it make all thet much of a differance?

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
you can tell it grabs harder and its nice and smooth. probably will last for a super long time to. so i think its worth it. since i live in western pa with all the hills. the clutch in my truck has been replaced at least 6 times since new, Ive lost count, and it only has 120,000 miles

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
you can tell it grabs harder and its nice and smooth. probably will last for a super long time to. so i think its worth it. since i live in western pa with all the hills. the clutch in my truck has been replaced at least 6 times since new, Ive lost count, and it only has 120,000 miles
i can see how it would help with all the hills. I personaly live in the flat lands and my truck has had 2 new clutches since new, 1 before i bought it and i put one in it this week. and it just hit 200k on the od.

ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
well if you live on flat land it might not matter. but if you do offroading i would recommend doing the swap.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
i probably would have done the swap but i got the stock clutch kit for a song and a dance, and its only 2wd so i dont do much off roading. At least untill i get a chance to change it over to 4x4.

birddog321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys.$350 is a little rich for my blood this week so i think i'm just going to go with a stock clutch.