•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Coil Spring Tower replacement.

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I recently noticed that my 1988 Bronco II passenger side suspension coil spring tower is heavily rusted at its frame mounting location. I was able to order a new one from ATS. The match was for a Ranger the Bronco II they have listed is different than what I have. Also the Jeff Bronco's graveyard shows the correct LH but the wrong RH. Interesting? After looking over my Bronco II I noticed nothing holds the upper coil in place it just sits in place with the taps hanging down the coil tower. The bottom of the spring is held in place with a nut and washer. I will need to remove the shock and brake line that runs through the Coil Spring Tower. Am I missing anything? Has any replaced the Coil Spring tower on their Bronco II? Any advice is appreciated.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I think you have the procedure about right. Those buckets will be riveted on... grind them down to the frame and drive them out. I use an air chisel to do the pushing... works good. You can also torch them off... or drill them.

You should be prepared to find some frame rot behind the bucket too. It happens.

Some folks use a strap bolted to the top bucket with a bent hook that goes around the upper coil of the spring to keep them there.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Of the tabs hanging down at the upper mount inside the spring 1 is hooked. When removing the spring twisting it will get it past the hook.
You will need to disconnect the sway bar from the axle tube and the tie rod from the knuckle.
It’s easiest to loosen the lower spring bolt before picking up the rig. Use a long extension on an impact socket from under the hood through the top of the coil spring. A half inch impact gun will make your day much easier.
Spray lube on anything you plan on removing

Broncotim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I finished the job. What a bear. Removing the coil spring was rather easy. Grinded the rivet heads and broke my air chisel trying to force the rivets out. A punch attached to a 1/2 inch extension and a hammer ultimately worked. Yes found frame rot. Called a friend that runs a mobile welder business as they had to cut 3x4 area of rot out and weld in a new 1/8 thick steel plate to make the repair. Installed new RH frame tower. New factory springs on both sides. new daystar spring isolators and new flexible brake lines on both sides. Finally after three days its back on the road. Not a job for the inexperienced for sure.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
Awesome. Thanks for following up and letting us know how it worked out.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Way to stick with it... glad it all worked out.

ruralmaine

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I finished the job. What a bear. Removing the coil spring was rather easy. Grinded the rivet heads and broke my air chisel trying to force the rivets out. A punch attached to a 1/2 inch extension and a hammer ultimately worked. Yes found frame rot. Called a friend that runs a mobile welder business as they had to cut 3x4 area of rot out and weld in a new 1/8 thick steel plate to make the repair. Installed new RH frame tower. New factory springs on both sides. new daystar spring isolators and new flexible brake lines on both sides. Finally after three days its back on the road. Not a job for the inexperienced for sure.
Where did you find the coil spring tower mount? I need to do the same exact thing to mine. I can see the frame rot on mine. Thanks in advance!