•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

converting to 4wd

cbrock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I recently purchased an '89 4wd b2, not looking over it very well has left me with a bit of buyers remorse as it was eat up with rust (northern vehicle). Not given up on my b2 dreams I have found an '88 2wd with no tranny. Is the frame the same and can the front diff. be transplanted along with my 5 speed manual tranny and transfercase from the '89? Also wanting to add lift as I do the swap, looking at Skyjacker or Tuff Country 4" but I am on a budget, any suggestions on the lift. Looking at something for moderate off roading, not much articulation needed, I live in S.W. GA. it's flat here. Thanks for any advise.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Nope,
Cross memeber swap only needed on Rangers. You will have to swap over the driver's side suspension bracket with the D35 axle, or any 2x4 to 4x4 BII conversion as the braket is different between the 2 and 4 wheel trucks, otherwise a straight swap for it all. May be some wire harness changes too especially the headlight connections. As for the lift kits, I swear by Skyjacker as the best, I've now installed 3 of them for myself and others and they fit perfectly and are beefy. All lift kits for our trucks are pricey as it takes steel to do it, not bushings and torsion bar tweeks... Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited: