•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Core exchange, or sale, of old A4LD

morrisrh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hi everybody,

My old A4LD started leaking (main seal maybe), and rather than rebuild, I bought a Stage 1 from Trans Depot and put it in last summer. Thought I might take a stab at rebuilding the old one myself, but no time.

Anyone know anywhere that will take the old one as a core exchange if I am not buying a new one? Or anybody in the New England area want the old one? It's been in the garage ever since I pulled it - no rust or anything. Comes with the old torque converter.

Rob

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Well dang if you were out west I'd grab it from you just to do a rebuild on it to learn how.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
What is a Stage 1? Does Trans Depot have a web page?

Dennis

morrisrh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I will probably show my ignorance here, but a Stage 1 Shift kit, as it was explained to me at the time, uses heavier duty servos and higher capacity oil flow to eliminate the times when an automatic transmission is actually overlapping which gears it is in. The factory settings give you a smoother ride, but less power transfer and more engine and transmission strain.

I can tell you, putting in a new tranny with a Stage 1 shift kit made the B2 (min is named Broncobama) much livelier, and the shift drops really push you forward.

Transmission Depot is out of Florida (I think) and sells either regular or Stage 1 transmissions. They were great - they called and had me send them a photo to make sure it came from their shop with the correct shift linkage, as apparently even within model year they didn't all come from the factory with exactly the same set up. (www.transdepot.net) The swap took some time, especially when I broke the tranny cooler line that had frozen in place (and it is a son of a gun to get to in the first place - stainless steel from inline tube replaced the old ones), but it was plug-and-play.

I used a local transmission shop to take delivery, as home delivery was a couple hundred dollar upcharge.

Only challenge was that Trans Depot just sold the remanufactured one, but didn't take the core exchange.

XTC90BII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
Do what you can with what you have where you are
morrsirh 1