•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

cranking amps needed For 87 bronco II

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
the battery in my bronco II i think is too small it only has 500 CCA what is a good cca rating for a bronco II 2.9L v6 4x4 im in southern alberta canada so it gets cold here.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I think your truck calls for the crazy shaped 66 series battery (skinny and tall).
You may have to Mod the tray a little and change the ground and positive to the Solenoid if its not long enough but it will be worth it.
Get a 65 series (BCI number) Battery,No matter who makes it,pound for pound it gives you more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) for its size than any other Battery.
If you can snap a pic I can tell you what series it is and what you will need to make the other fit.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
thats what i have in my bronco right now is a skinny and tall battery it looks like a motor cycle battery just taller. it fits just fine right now but it will die after about 2 cranks and winter is coming so i know it wont hold up i just wanted to know what the minimum CCA i will need during the winter to start my truck the size/shape of the battery doesnt matter i got plenty of room i could just about fit a diesel battery without modifying the box.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Minimum CCA=SUCK
Maximum CCA=START

It dosent matter what your starting.........A 5 horse Briggs or your 2.9...........Go with the highest CCA your budget will allow.

And dont got to Walmart!

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
fine better question will a 525 cca battery work? i have a friend that bought a brand new battery but he got the wrong one and cant return it. or what is the factory battery rated at? my budget is extremely tight hence why i bought the 20$ junkyard battery that is dead

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
525 CCA is pretty much spec on anything gas,as it being new it should clock out above that.If its new and you can score it on the cheap.......snag it.