•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

cutting cat???

albertabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
well im thinkin of cuttin the cat off my truck due to i live in canada altho do i need to keep it due to a o2 sensor its a 87 bronco II with a 2.9 there is a tube going to the cat from somewhere in the engine bay is this needed or can i just cut it and plug it off??

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Why do you want to cut the cat off? It's not going to help performance at all, and it's illegal even if you don't have emmisions testing.

albertabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
haha nah dude trust me ive run all my vehicles without cats when they had them in the first place and ive had them all mechanicly inspected due to insurence and shit and never had an issue as per why is its half rotted off thats why

Kona

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
The rule is ( as I understand ) you ( a shop) can not legally cut off a functioning cat. However if it is not working they can legally replace it with a "test pipe". I might be wrong as my info is from a few years ago.

cr_the_machinist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Do you have to have your car inspected up there? I used to live out in Maine and you had to pass an emissions test every years or your S.O.L.

albertabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
haha no no inspections so the question i want to know is what the hell is that little steel hose going to the car for can i plug it off??

Simple_serf

Reaction score
there is a tube going to the cat from somewhere in the engine bay
Hmmm...you might want to find out what it connects to...

Why Does this question keep coming up???

It isn't going to help you power wise, and the cat really doesn't make a big difference with sound...from experience.

They are there for a reason.

albertabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
haha and i keep answering back saying i know it doesnt give a power gain lol mine is pooched and full of holes so i want to get rid of it im too cheap to buy another as per the hose who knows where it goes ill have to look i cant see it being too important lol and for the record i dont care if its the law i never run a cat on any of my vehicles ive never got into any trouble either

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Do you have to have your car inspected up there? I used to live out in Maine and you had to pass an emissions test every years or your S.O.L.
The only time a vehicle needs an inspection here is
(1)if it comes from out of province and you want to register it and

(2)if you buy a used vehicle that is over 8 years old ( IIRC ) at the request of the insurance company.

The out of province inspection is much more involved and requires all safety lamps ( ABS and airbag system ) to function, prove out and be in normal operating condition. I have yet to see a vehicle fail due to an emission problem.

oleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If the cat was cut off due to it malfunctioning and it had an O2 sensor behind it would it affect anything, gas milage etc.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
well im thinkin of cuttin the cat off my truck due to i live in canada altho do i need to keep it due to a o2 sensor its a 87 bronco II with a 2.9 there is a tube going to the cat from somewhere in the engine bay is this needed or can i just cut it and plug it off??
The tube is probably EGR. Your PCM is expecting a functioning EGR system...

If it were me, and I wanted it to run half way decent, I would probably try and locate a junk yard replacement or try get a new one for cheap.

I've gutted one before, and it didn't make any difference performance wise.

Pete

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
if your too cheep to maintain your junk, then sell it and buy a nice bike. idiots like you are the reason there is such a mess regarding vehicle emissions. A universal fit cat is like 80 bucks if not cheeper if you shop around. Considering that I live in canada, and like you, do not participate in the emissions testing yet, I STILL have a cat on my truck.

Turbo-T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Turbo
That tube on the side of the cat comes from the smog pump on the right front corner of the engine.
The O2 sensor is located in the manifold BEFORE the cat.
As for those $80 cat's, don't waste your money. I had one last 2 years. Blew the guts right out of it.
You can't buy a used cat from a junk yard. It's against Fed. law.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
fuck a bunch of cats. i wonder why race cars dont have cats...because they do rob power

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
fuck a bunch of cats. i wonder why race cars dont have cats...because they do rob power
Race cars don't have cats because they're not driven on public roads and don't have to conform to emmisions standards.

I've gutted a few cats in the past and noticed no increase in power. I would not do it again. In the dyno tests I've seen, removing the cat added between 0 and 1 HP.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
That tube on the side of the cat comes from the smog pump on the right front corner of the engine.
The O2 sensor is located in the manifold BEFORE the cat.
As for those $80 cat's, don't waste your money. I had one last 2 years. Blew the guts right out of it.
You can't buy a used cat from a junk yard. It's against Fed. law.
+1, the tube just injects air into the exhaust to finish burning unbernt fuel in the exhaust. Just plug the tube, of remove the smog pump and get a shorter belt.

Original_Ranger84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
The rule is ( as I understand ) you ( a shop) can not legally cut off a functioning cat. However if it is not working they can legally replace it with a "test pipe". I might be wrong as my info is from a few years ago.
thats a relief because mine was totally clogged and i just removed it and straight piped it to a flow 40.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Race cars don't have cats because they're not driven on public roads and don't have to conform to emmisions standards.

I've gutted a few cats in the past and noticed no increase in power. I would not do it again. In the dyno tests I've seen, removing the cat added between 0 and 1 HP.

HaHa.....Evan, that 1 hp that is "freed up" realy makes a difference with a small displacment engine thats driving on the highway.....wait, no it doesnt...it wouldnt even be felt, not even by the most well tuned ass dyno. Now, a pluged cat will reduce performance, for some reason people feel the ned to rebel the rules when it comes to emissions, like it makes them a bigger player "ya, well i dont have a cat so i have more power". Do some research, emissions equipment is there for a reason. These days gas engines have it easy, the new diesels need to have there exaust cleaner then the air being taken in at the filter.

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
hey im over in bc and on my 88 ranger and 89 cavalier z24 ive just removed the the cat and put in a resonator sounds way better and better gas milage

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
hey im over in bc and on my 88 ranger and 89 cavalier z24 ive just removed the the cat and put in a resonator sounds way better and better gas milage
If that's the case with better gas mileage, then your cats were clogged.