•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

dana 28 with 33 inch tires

fordguy20

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
i have a 88 bronco 2 and i was wondering if with a lift kit can you run 33s with the stock dana 28. i dont plan doing serious off roading it is my daily driver

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
You might get away with it if you're really gentle on it, but it still kinda pushing your luck.

As easy as it is to put in a D35, I would just get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I've been running 33's on the d28 on my b2 for the last ten years without any problems. I have treated it with a reasonable amount of respect though and I believe your 2.9 probably makes more power than my 2.8.

oetinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
My truck had a D28 under when I bough it... And with the 33" claw... Ive done one real smooth trail... and 30 minutes after the start of my second trail ( a little harder on the terrain and 6" behind the wheel) I busted a shaft.
didnt botter replacing it... I've bough a D35.

PA_Bowhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I raced a BII with the D28 and 32" tires I can personally tell ya it won't work if you plan on any serious off-roading,trail riding is another story.I am now in the process of putting a D35 under. I got tired of changing axles.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
I agree with Junkie about going ahead and swapping out the D28 for the Xploder D35. If you are going to run bigger tires, then you are going to have to expect breakage, not necessarily from the word "go", but sooner or later... even after 10 years. I got lucky and ran some decent trails with my BII and the D28 on 31's without breakage, but the thought was always there. Even now, with her restricted to streetduty, I have gone back to P235's to help with ensuring that I don't break anything.