•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Deal breaker or easy fix? 1990 b2 5 speed

Fordguy54

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've been looking at 1990 b2 for my wife to drive and I've found one that's decent for the price the only thing is there's something up with the transmission. I believe it's the fm146 and the side to side travel of the shifter goes way past the gears like the bushing on the bottom of the shifter is gone making it so you have to search for the gears. There's no grinding and once you line up the shifter with the gear it goes in smooth I don't know if anyone has experienced this problem before. I've owned rangers in the past and have never had this happen. Any help would be great! Thanks! :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
There is a little teflon ball at the bottom of the shifter. If it breaks, and they do break from time to time, it will put a lot of slop in the shifter. The ball is out of production and getting hard to come by.

Fordguy54

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Does anyone know of any places to look for them and would this be a deal breaker? Thanks for the speedy reply

Last edited:

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
It's a easy fix all you do is pull up the boot make sure trans is in N, once the boot is up there is 4 torex bolts holding the shifter into the trans, once there out it should pull right up and out....

what I would do is go to the pick n pull yard and grab another complete shifter arm and pop it back in
Or if you want to fiddle with it you can probably pop off that little white ball adsm08 spoke of, and just replace that, they will probally give it to ya, or just put it in your pocket.
It's about the size of a gumball.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

arizonadirtslinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
One of my buddies supposedly took the ball out of an old computer mouse drilled it out and tapped it and made it work in his 87 ranger

storey618

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
idk about junkyards around you but theres alot of rangers in my junkyard that are sticks so im sure you could find one there.