•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Died, won’t start… again.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well second first, same as the first. After having the car in the shop to have both fuel pumps replaced, the fuel regulator and filter, my 86 BII has died again after about 20 miles of driving. This time the shop says fuel system is fine but intermittent spark, so they’ll be trying a new distributor for starters (pun intended). I’m sure AAA is on the verge of canceling me at this point. I’m not sure they are even diagnosing the issue as much as throwing sh** at a wall to see what sticks. 😡 Was running fine when it just died like it was unplugged…

Well I dropped by the shop today and they put a new distributor in and it has spark but the car still won’t start. This is an ASE shop and they can’t figure it out.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
Well... you need compression. First and foremost. Compression isn't something that comes and goes intermittently.

You need fuel. Both proper pressure and injector pulses. Fuel timing isn't really a big deal... it's a batch fire. Also... the two pump system can be finicky. Both pumps have to be working and have the fuel reservoir in place.

You need spark. Both in quality (60kv) and properly timed.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
He told me he has all 3 - but it still won’t start, even with starter fluid. I’m wondering if the ECM has ever been switched out / worked on.

Last edited:

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Need another opinion. The shop just called me and the one mechanic they had that could work on the bronco is out sick indefinitely, and they haven’t been able to diagnose the problem. Is it worth it to spend $100-150 on a rebuilt ECM and at least try that before I have to tow it to another shop and buy more shop time? Fuel, spark and compression seem to all be there affording to them.

tw205

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Suspension Style
4wd
“ out sick indefinitely “ sounds like it’s time to find another shop. That rig is about as basic as they come for computer controlled engines. Sounds like the techs are more of the tire type than the engine type. ASE certified D- student.

🤦🏻‍♂️ Just sayin.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Oh I completely agree. This all started when I wanted them to do a fluids change. I should have stopped there.

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I would cut my losses...

I certainly wouldn't buy an ECM if you have spark and fuel. Seems they just want to throw more parts at it

What's the compression?

Is it just severely flooded... spark plugs wet?

Did they install the distributor correctly?

Does it pop and bang when they try to start it?

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If we "assume" it has enough compression and a strong enough spark...
It's either fuel or timing.
Starter fluid replaces fuel.

Timing could be either spark or valve or both.
I don't remember if the 2.9 is an interference engine or not. If yes and the timing chain jumped enough to not fire at all then it probably has bent valves, which would show on a compression test. Following this line it is spark timing.

3Stgs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I would cut my losses...

I certainly wouldn't buy an ECM if you have spark and fuel. Seems they just want to throw more parts at it

What's the compression?

Is it just severely flooded... spark plugs wet?

Did they install the distributor correctly?

Does it pop and bang when they try to start it?
OK, found a good mechanic to look at my no start issue, at this point I just wanted to get it running. The previous shop put a new distributor, coil and ignition module in and still couldn’t get it to start. This mechanic reworked the timing to get it close enough to run, so…timing was way off. He stopped there, as he didn’t want to attempt to stab the distributor and he felt the intake manifold had to be removed to properly do it. He said that was probably the only way the timing could be adjusted perfectly. What am I possibly looking at for cost / shop time for a shop to do this? 86 with the 2.9. Oh and thanks guys, you were right on with this issue.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
OK, found a good mechanic to look at my no start issue, at this point I just wanted to get it running. The previous shop put a new distributor, coil and ignition module in and still couldn’t get it to start. This mechanic reworked the timing to get it close enough to run, so…timing was way off. He stopped there, as he didn’t want to attempt to stab the distributor and he felt the intake manifold had to be removed to properly do it. He said that was probably the only way the timing could be adjusted perfectly. What am I possibly looking at for cost / shop time for a shop to do this? 86 with the 2.9. Oh and thanks guys, you were right on with this issue.
I think an hour or two tops for the whole job. He probably just needs to pull the top half.
This might be a good thing too. One of the major problems with mine was that gasket between top and bottom of the intake cracked and made a big vacuum leak.
You can get yours replaced now and not have to worry about it later.