•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

DISTRIBUTOR Question(s) - 1990 Bronco II 2.9L AUTO 4WD

rgg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Question(s):
  1. What can cause the distributor "stator" to wear/burn out ? (100K miles on mine).
  2. IS IT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to pull (ie. remove) the fuel intake plenum (upper) to get enough clearance to swap out the old distributor ? OR can the distributor be removed with the plenum in place?
NEED TO KNOW this from someone WHO HAS ACTUALLY DONE IT !?!!! (Service tech wants to charge me an arm/leg/to do it )
3) ANYBODY GOT PICS of distributor replacement.
THANKS
ANY/ALL REPLYS APPRECIATED

Uncle Gump

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Suspension Style
4wd
I just bought my first 2.9L recently... and have yet to pull the distributor. Sooo... I've never done it. The service manual doesn't specify to remove the upper intake.

I

rgg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Thanks for reply.
yes.... none ( Haynes, Ford, Chilton) of the service manuals specify plenum removal for distributor 'access'. Thats kinda why am asking.
ANYBODY Know ?!!! (who's ACTUALLY DONE IT)

d.mcintyre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Question(s):
  1. What can cause the distributor "stator" to wear/burn out ? (100K miles on mine).
  2. IS IT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to pull (ie. remove) the fuel intake plenum (upper) to get enough clearance to swap out the old distributor ? OR can the distributor be removed with the plenum in place?
NEED TO KNOW this from someone WHO HAS ACTUALLY DONE IT !?!!! (Service tech wants to charge me an arm/leg/to do it )
3) ANYBODY GOT PICS of distributor replacement.
THANKS
ANY/ALL REPLYS APPRECIATED
The upper intake does not have to be removed. You can get the cap and rotor out with out doing that.