•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Do 89/90 heads crack?

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
There is a supposed 89 Bronco II for sale in the area - over an hour's drive from me so I haven't seen it yet. The body and transmission etc. are apparently in excellent condition, but the owner says he just "found out that there might be a blown head gasket".

Having seen so many used BII's with bad engines with likely cracked heads recently, I am suspicious. When did the switch to the "good" heads take place? Any chance an early '89 would have the old heads?
Thanks.

CraigK

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
There's no definte answer on that. You just need to look for certain things. They're all prone to crack regardless.

I am suprised as many times as this is asked that there hasn't been a sticky or entry in the FAQ:

I have NEVER seen the better heads on an '89 (much less an '88) unless they were swapped on.

Infact I've had THREE '90 engines and they didn't have them either.
The heads are most ewasily identified by the threads of the bolt hole in the END of the head where the alternator bracket mounts, the early heads use 8mm threads, the later, better heads use 10mm threads.

For all practical purposes you need to find a '91 engine to find the
better factory heads.

BTW, 2.9's don't blow head gaskets.
They crack heads up in the rocker area.

so a typical machinist looking for cracks in the combustion chamber will usually find nothing.

AD
Pete

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
From comments in the past (primarily Allan IIRC), even the later design heads were still significantly more prone to cracking than those found on the early 4.0's (which were later redesigned because even they cracked more often than Ford was happy with).

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Any head on any engine can crack, some are more prone to it than others, it is a risk you run.

Also, 20 years after leaving the factory who knows what heads are on it, they could have cracked and been replaced a couple times by now.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks all!!!!
This information changes a LOT of things in my search for a replacement BII.

CraigK

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Or you could do what I did. Bought this Bronco II with crack heads for $425.00 and put on a set of 92 ranger heads from complete parts truck for 200.00.
(sorry having problems posting photos check out my web page)

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
You could get a set of alabama heads that are thicker castings.Thats what most people do now that they are available.They don't cost that much more than a set of rebuilt heads.

fastpakr

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Alabama heads?

Edit - nevermind, found them. However, they indicate that they are still the 86TM castings. Are you sure they're redesigned?

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 2001
Vehicle
1989=Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Alabama heads?

Edit - nevermind, found them. However, they indicate that they are still the 86TM castings. Are you sure they're redesigned?

Don't rule out "World Products" out of the NYC area.

http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/heads/srford.htm

The current set I'm using.

S-

Please note: I got a set of the bare heads for under $200 shipped. They where on the clearance listing for overstock. Might want to check with the company directly, and not outside 'sellers'..as the sellers are using the older list prices.

Last edited: