•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Donor Vehicle Question

Fatpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
Hey all

I’ve been lurking here for a long time and I’ve decided to join and contribute to the conversation!

I have a 4x4 87 Bronco II, automatic with the manual transfer case. The truck is 95% stock and rust free!

I’m looking for at an 1993 explorer donor vehicle, which I will pull the 8.8, Dana 35 & 4.0 OHV out for my bronco.

My question is: Does the explorer have to be a 4x4 also?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey all

I’ve been lurking here for a long time and I’ve decided to join and contribute to the conversation!

I have a 4x4 87 Bronco II, automatic with the manual transfer case. The truck is 95% stock and rust free!

I’m looking for at an 1993 explorer donor vehicle, which I will pull the 8.8, Dana 35 & 4.0 OHV out for my bronco.

My question is: Does the explorer have to be a 4x4 also?
With these 4.0 swaps, it is not recommended to use your stock automatic transmission. They are known to be weak, so it is ideal to use an explorer transmission. With that in mind, you would need a transmission that mates to your stock transfer case for simplicity. Your stock transfer case is the strongest part of that truck for what I know. Make sure you keep that donor around for starter, wiring, fuel system etc, since much of that needs to be sourced from the explorer. Good luck!

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
If you want a dana35 too, then the explorer needs to be 4x4.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The Explorers in the early 90's used the same transmission as the bronco 2 and ranger the A4LD. I believe in 95 they changed transmissions in the explorers to the 4R55E which was a little better.

You'll need the 4wd explorer if you want 4wd in your bronco 2, otherwise if you are chopping out the 4WD system then a 2WD explorer would be fine, but you'll need different drive shafts front and rear.

Fatpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
Donor explorer fell through, the search continues!
I appreciate the info.

I’m going back in forth between doing a sas swap using the duff kit vs the 35 ttb.

I’m set on an 8.8 for the rear, I’m thinking 4.10 gears. But will settle for 3.73 if that’s the 35 ttb I come across.

Definitely I would appreciate the opinions.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
The d35 is a LOT less work. And I think just as capable in most cases. Check out 4x4Junkie and his unit.

Fatpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
Still on the search for a Donor truck!
So far I have replaced the shock absorbers, Coil Springs, lock out hubs, explorer radiator, fan clutch, fuel pressure regulator, thermostat, all the belts and hoses, water pump, fuel filters, fuel injectors, spark plugs, 30” BFF all terrains, cap and rotor and About 5 different censors.

It runs like a top now, it was almost stock so there is much to do.

Fatpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco ii
I took the pig out this past week and ran some trails, the transmission started acting up and wouldn’t shift out of 2nd gear when I was in drive.

Was able to “walk” it up from first to second to drive and get around but now I’m looking at a rebuild.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd