•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dont use a 91 Explorer dash and harness in a Ranger or BII

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hey guys I posted this just to try to help somebody avoid the nightmare that I am currently facing. i just done a 4.0 swap in a 89 BII and used a 91 Explorer dash and harness. This was done simply because i am changing the interior color to that of the Explorer. It bolted in and most plugs plugged right up except for the electric transfer case wiring which I dont need anyhow. After getting everything hooked up I installed the battery and viola it started right up. However the rear lights(all of them),fuel gauge,turn signals and 4 way flashers don't work. After doing a little research, which i should have done prior, I found out that the Explorer sends the rear lighting out through a plug under the dash where the BII and Ranger send it through the firewall at the BWP and to the light wiring on the drivers fender well. There may be more that isn,t compatable that i haven't figured out yet. Looks like I will have to change the wiring harness for the dash out with the original BII harness, PITA!!
Hope this helps someone!!

Paul

Last edited:

yodaman1151

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Helped me I just picked a 85 ranger with a hacked in 4.0 swap and I want to do a new harness and dash and was gonna go to the j/y so I now know not to even look at an explorer

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Glad that I saved you some time and a lot of hassel!! As long as you go with a Ranger dash you will be fine.The Bronco II harness would probably work also but possible that some of the wirring would have to be swapped around in the plugs,

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
i only use the eec stuff for swaps...doing a chassis wiring swap is ignorant...

unless you are doing a whole interior like yourself. still its easy to fix, so i dont see a problem.:dunno:

GDAWGMX396

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Now im about to do a 4.0 swap in my 89 ranger 2.9 4x4. The motor im getting is out of an 92 explore. Do i need the dash from the explore? Could i get a wiring harness that was out of a 92 4.0 ranger or do i have to use it out of the explore?

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
You can use the engine and underhood wiring from the Ex. and use your original dash and dash harness but you will possibly have to swap a few wires around on the drivers inner fender for everything to work correct. Use the evtm for both vehicles to figure out the differences. My problem was simply i didn't have a evtm for the BII first of all and I didn't consult the evtm that I allready had for the Ex. before I started. Figured I would just have to swap some stuff around however the lights don't exit the harness even close to the original body harness...BII plug on inner fender,Ex. under the dash. My situation isn't that hard to fix,just got to swap in my original dash harness in the Ex. dash shell.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
You can use the engine and underhood wiring from the Ex. and use your original dash and dash harness but you will possibly have to swap a few wires around on the drivers inner fender for everything to work correct. Use the evtm for both vehicles to figure out the differences. My problem was simply i didn't have a evtm for the BII first of all and I didn't consult the evtm that I allready had for the Ex. before I started. Figured I would just have to swap some stuff around however the lights don't exit the harness even close to the original body harness...BII plug on inner fender,Ex. under the dash. My situation isn't that hard to fix,just got to swap in my original dash harness in the Ex. dash shell.
i would just make a jumper:icon_surprised: unless its all still loose

GDAWGMX396

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Ok. Now i jus got the whole tranny rebuilt with all new parts for the 2.9. Will it still handle the 4.0? Plus a brand new fuel pump. Will that work also?