•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dragging an anchor

CK Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have a 1984 Ford Bronco II with a 2.8 V6. I have been struggling with a drivability issue for a long time now and its driving me nuts. When I bought this thing it ran not bad but had trouble codes and a bunch of cobbled wiring. I decided that chasing down computer problems on an engine this old was going to be a nightmare and a never ending endeavor. I decided to remove all the computer stuff and set it up as if it were several years older. I removed the feedback carburetor in favor of a remanufactured 2150 Motorcraft unit. I also replaced the ignition system with a Duraspark setup. I retained the original coil but all the other parts were replaced. I then removed the wiring harness and the computer. I readjusted the valve lash to the factory settings which were off slightly. I checked the cranking compression which was between 110 and 120 psi on all 6 cylinders. I also replaced the fuel pump and removed the gas tank and cleaned and inspected the sock. I installed an inline fuel filter just before the carburetor as well. All the fuel line has been replaced and the cat was inspected for clogs.
The issue is that it idles not bad and will free rev in neutral if the revs are brought up a little first. In gear however it’s a different story. It acts like its dragging an anchor and barely climbs a hill. It bogs so bad at the top of each gear it will stall if I let it. 4th and 5th gears are useless and cannot be used as the load is just too much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wild horse

Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Have you checked to see if the brakes are dragging ? Otherwise I would say just do the 302 v8 convertion.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yes my first question would be if the brakes are dragging. That is a pretty easy check.

As far as the engine work, changing the carb and such, I can't comment on. I would expect a carb will only work under a certain range of conditions. That it is possible to swap something in that isn't well matched.

With all the ignition work I expect that you checked the timing, the timing advance, etc.

When you say it bogs at the top of each gear you say it bogs. By "top" do you mean high RPM? At high RPM that sounds to me like either clogged cat or it running short on fuel.