•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

driveline swap

Pdxguy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
hello there...im hoping that maybe your guys can answer this...

Im doing a 4in lift for my bronco II and was told i needed to get a longer (and stronger) driveshaft. i found a driveshaft out of a 1990 aerostar awd that has the same ends as my driveshaft and looks to be longer. i cant find any info on the length of those driveshafts and i dont wanna pull a driveshaft if i cant use it. yes im going cheap on this but if i can get parts for free from work im going for it...lol

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Driveshaft doesn't have to be longer, but it does need to be replaced with a conventional u-joint type shaft.

What trans do you have? If it's the FM145 stick, you can use the front dual-cardan shaft from a '91-'94 Explorer or Ranger on your rear by swapping the t-case yoke and getting another flange for the rear of it.

Pdxguy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
ok so the front driveshaft with the yoke from the t-case and find another t-case yoke to swap out the stock stuff on the rear end? i just want clarification..i can get the stuff but dont wanna work harder just smarter...lol

thanks guys

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Driveshaft, front t-case output yoke, and a rear flange for the driveshaft to mate it to your pinion flange (this can be had off the forward end of the same vehicle's rear driveshaft).