•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Driver door wouldn't line up $.02 cent fix

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
On my son's BII the driver door wouldn't line up, you had to lift up on the door to close it. To compound the problem, the hinges were modified so the doors are removable. I adjusted the door hinges, gained a small fraction. To adjust the hinges The top hinge had a little (tiny) bit of play, but not enough to warrant changing it out. I was showing this to a friend of mine, as I was using his (heated) garage this past weekend. He suggested adding a washer or two behind the bolts where the bottom hinges attaches to the door. My son stopped by last night (for money, damn college students) so for giggles we tried the $.02 cent fix. The door hung too low about 3/8 of an inch. We added 2 washers behind the bottom bolt of the bottom hinge, and one washer to the top of the bottom hinge. The door in now very close to being dead on, if anything its a little high (1/16 of an inch). Now it closes with ease... Without the washes as spacers for me it was a pain in the arse to close the door. My son was used to it. Now works like its supposed to...

There's nothing like backyard mechanical fixes.... just thought I'd share :icon_cheers:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Nice fix!

Yeah, hinges tend to 'sag' out over time. It happens.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Hey I'm at the age where other things "sag"... but lets not go there.... :beer: