•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Driveshaft CV Boot

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The front CV Boot on my rear driveshaft is torn and so it's flung grease all over the under carriage. My question is, are the CV boots replaceable or do I have to buy a whole new rear driveshaft? And if it is replaceable, how hard is it to change out? Thanks for any info.

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
It's just an overgrown CV joint. It requires a special tool to crimp the band on the boot, or you could just use a hose clamp. They're easy enough to do though. If you do any offroading do yourself a favor and replace it with a spicer style double carden shaft.

-Jester

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Got the tool and the CV boot in today. It was actually kind of PITA. I still didn't get the bigger boot on correctly from what it seems. Still have grease flinging everywhere. Pretty aggrivating after spending hours on it today before work.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Got the tool and the CV boot in today. It was actually kind of PITA. I still didn't get the bigger boot on correctly from what it seems. Still have grease flinging everywhere. Pretty aggrivating after spending hours on it today before work.
You should of ordered 2 of every part that you a replacing cause you will
be replacing it again in the future.

Last edited: