•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Driveshaft measuring???

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
well for some reason i took out my rear shaft, and its about 1/4" from fully extended with the 4.5" of rear lift. so im trying to do a 1354 front flange on the rear of my 1350, with a explorer front shaft.

First question is the shaft im looking at is from a 91. is that the right year range that people are using? also do i need the flange from the same year models?

second thing, is going from the pics, the 1354 flange looks like it sticks out farther then my 1350 flange. and the explorer driveshafts dont have flanges on either end. i know the t-case end is a ubolt style flange. but the other end also looks like it has a ubolt style flange. im getting one from the junkyard so i cant really compare measurements right now. but this is what im looking at

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Driveshaft/_/N-6o2ir?itemIdentifier=829312_0_0_8034,12433&vehicleIdForService=137871306&vehicleIdForService=137871306&_requestid=61830

says its 28 1/4" long but the pics shows it compressed. is that how they are measuring it? also once i put the flange on the axle side of it, it will make it a little bit longer. so how are they measuring it, compressed or collapsed? and how should i measure mine to go about seeing how much longer it needs to be? flange to flange or center of ujoints?

just trying to make sure this is gonna do what i need and wont be too short or too long...thanks guys

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So you are swapping the yoke out for the plate on your t-case? If thats the case, then the Ex front shaft swap should work. Just remember you need the shaft from the front, and the slip yoke from the rear shaft for this to work.

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ok don't waste more time when u cAn do it the easy way,look for a 4x4 exploder andget the rear drive shaft. Looks like the shaft he made. It has to b a 2 door 5 speed 4x4 tho like 92ish model year. All u gotta do is have it shortened to your measurements!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
the one disciplerocks posted looks like they took the stock flanges and put them on the front explorer shaft and it worked. going from their measurements it will be just right. but i dont know i got confused with them talking about slip yokes and all. not sure if they put the rear slip yoke on the front shaft or what. i dont see where the slip would make any difference. the shaft i have now uses the same ujoints as the explorer front and rear shafts so my flanges would fit with the cv taken off and the cv thing ground off like they did

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Ok don't waste more time when u cAn do it the easy way,look for a 4x4 exploder andget the rear drive shaft. Looks like the shaft he made. It has to b a 2 door 5 speed 4x4 tho like 92ish model year. All u gotta do is have it shortened to your measurements!
I didn't make the shaft...

I took the front yoke from a 1354 case and installed it on the rear of the tcase so it would accept the cv style shaft. Took a stock shaft from a 91-94 explorer (doesn't matter auto or 5spd as the a4ld and m5ord are the same lengths), then took the 8.8 ujoint flange and put it on the explorer driveshaft and bolted it in.