•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Dual Batt and alt options?

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
After doing the duraspark swap I have alot of room under the hood so Im thinking about the possabilities of running dual batteries and a higher output alternator.... ne1 have examples, ideas and/or suggestions?

Slammin Sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You can upgrade to a higher amp alternator without the extra battery. If you boost the output too much, I believe you need to be concerned about that 30 year old wiring handling the load.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Depends on what you are after in the final outcome.

Second battery is nice if you off road(jump start yourself) or you want to run stereo or lights or....??, while camping without worrying about a dead battery for restart.
Also if using a winch or plow, for these you for sure should use a second battery.

But you don't necessarily need a higher output alternator for that.
Regular alternator will recharge both batteries while driving and the difference in recharge time would be minimal even from a 60amp to 120amp alternator, remember only 1 battery was being drained, if wired correctly the "starting battery" wasn't being used.

If you are adding running lights, subwoofer, or other higher power draws for when vehicle is running then higher output alternator would be best.
Existing wiring for power distribution is fine, its power "draw" doesn't change with alternator output.
New larger B+ wire and circuit breaker from alternator to battery would be required and new wiring with fuses added for the "extra stuff" that needs the power.
Don't forget to use a larger Negative battery cable as well, both + and - cables need to be the correct gauge for the higher AMPs.

So doing the second battery and higher output alternator won't hurt anything but do you need both?

Have a look here for wiring needs:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/DualBatteries.html

Last edited:

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Ive rewired a good part of the truck already, everytime I work on something electrical I start from scratch, it was kind of a mess to begin with so thats just become a rule-of-thumb now. I replaced the alt and regulator about 4 yrs ago and now with a completely new ignition system there isnt much original wiring left under the hood, lights have been redone and a few upgrades have been done behind the dash also.

I wouldnt think I would need to go too overboard on an alternator but Ive added several lights, and plan on an onboard 12v compressor, and a winch, I often pull a small utility trailer that has its own winch, and often carry a 12v cooler. I have a couple fairly new unused batteries in the shop so adding one would just require the isolator, and I work in a metal shop so adding a spot for it is a simple little project, the entire computer and smog control systems are all gone now so Im just debating what I can do with all the extra space, this idea is something I can do easily at a fairly low cost.

edit... a plow is definately a possabilty in the future as well, we get alot of snow here sometimes.
edit2.. I drive home home from work 30 minutes at 2am on dark highways, I use the off road lights all the time to watch for deer

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Start with the extra battery and a isolator. Pretty simple and fairly cheap just run all the high amp draw circuits on the aux battery separate from the chassis wiring and switch them with relays. Be sure and fuse everything.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Aux battery should be a Deep Cycle type.
Free battery is a free battery through, but next time you buy one get a Deep Cycle.

Car batteries are made with thin plates that can discharge high amps in a short period, like for starting an engine, problem is with long deep drains the thin plates lose recovery, some car batteries will not recharge after 3 deep drains, some last as long as 18 deep drains, but all will fail to hold a charge if used in this manner.
This is why after engine trouble where lots of cranking may happen or alternator issue that drains battery happen the battery might fail within a few months or immediately.

Deep cycle batteries have thicker more expensive plates, so deep draining doesn't effect them as much, 400 deep drains before recharging might be an issue.
But these do not discharge high amps quickly, they would start an engine but it might crank a little slower.

Gel batteries can discharge high amps quickly, not as good as a regular car battery but better than Deep Cycle.
Gel batteries also withstand deep drains better than car batteries but not as good as Deep cycle.

So you can look at Gel batteries as having a better mixed use or not being as good as either, lol

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Thx guys, much appreciate the reply's:)

off topic for a sec... I should have got a video of this but...

stopped in town today, small place where everyone knows everyone, liquor store clerk is often next door in the lounge watching tv so I stuck my head in to call her out, dude in there I know calls me in for a drink so I sit for a bit and he tells me how his Ram 2500 flat deck is stuck in the snow in an alley nearby, so I have one drink and we head over to his truck with my little B2 and a tow strap.. I'm thinking No way in H*** this is gonna work.. but it actually did pull him out.. ppl standing around laughing.. and then clapping, Funny Chit...lol