•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Duraspark conversion and safety inspection questions

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I got a 84 b2 from my Pop he did a duraspark conversion years before he gave me this b2. it failed for a few things

1 i think the tech couldnt figure out the horn on the turn signal column
2 my pop had installed a edelbrock aircleaner on the carb he used and it dont have the Original thermostatic air cleaner??
3 they say the 84 has a egr valve and o2 sensors??
4 charcoal canister???? not hooked up does it even have one???
5 yeah yeah i know he deleted cat converter i saw that when i pulled the damn tranny, so i get that

what just happened? does the 84 have egr and o2 sensors?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
what just happened? does the 84 have egr and o2 sensors?
My '85 did, EGR valve was in the intake in front of the carb angled towards the passenger side, as I recall the 02 senser was in the driver side exhaust manifold.

The stock air cleaner had a vacuum actuated flap that would suck air that had warmed in a shroud around the DS exhaust manifold until the engine warmed up.

I doubt the EGR would work right with a DS swap, the 02 senser is obviously worthless aside from plugging the hole post swap and the cat probably won't like not having a computer control the fuel going into the carb... it might be fine though too.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
With the Duraspark setup, all the computer stuff and emissions stuff is no longer used or need under the hood. So the egr, o2, canaster, etc...be gone with it. Dont forget about the smog air pump either, it too can be removed. The belt that runs the power steering pump (with no A/C) is the size need to run the alternator when the smog air pump is removed.

As far as this setup passing for emissions testing, it will not.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Depending on how detailed they get you might get by with making it look it works...

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If you have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test; I think you have a problem. If they just look at parts, you can fake it. And it does have an EGR right in front of the carb, the other items mentioned are on the engine too, but none will work with the DuraSpark conversion.
Ask what you need and why - if visual, you might make it; the techs might be younger than your Bronco and you can bluff through. If you have a California style dyno test; it won't make it without all the original stuff.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
nah just visual inspections here. my pop had it inspected at his places for years.the last place was a firestone tire place last year. i know he did the conversion in 2005.

bleggett29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Is it possible you can register your b2 as Historic/Classic and not need to do the inspection? Here in Maryland, that's what I did with my '83 Ranger. Luckily I also live in a county that doesn't do emissions inspections.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
have too keep a log, and limited to 1000 miles a year

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Only a 1000 a year....you couldnt even do an oil change on her. I put about a 1000 on mine in 1.5 months.

I say unhook the speedo cable and call it a day.

CougarSE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
With the Duraspark setup, all the computer stuff and emissions stuff is no longer used or need under the hood. So the egr, o2, canaster, etc...be gone with it. Dont forget about the smog air pump either, it too can be removed. The belt that runs the power steering pump (with no A/C) is the size need to run the alternator when the smog air pump is removed.

The computer is not required to make the EGR function. Install a ported vacuum switch where the ECT currently resides in the thermostat housing. The EGR should be hooked up to ported vacuum from the back of a non feedback 2150 through the ported vacuum switch. The EGR will function as it should like this, only at cruising rpm's. There is no need to remove it as it does nothing to harm performance and it will actually increase fuel efficiency.

Removing the charcoal canister and doing nothing with the tank vent will cause your truck to smell like gas. Capping it off can create a vacuum inside the tank.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Removing the charcoal canister and doing nothing with the tank vent will cause your truck to smell like gas. Capping it off can create a vacuum inside the tank.
Or cause it to pressurize in warm weather.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
soo i got a air cleaner for a large truck because my pop put a 4 barrel carb on it. i got to build something for the heat tube to hook up. i hooked up a cat. and have an oxygen sensor screwed into the header with the wire leading to a wire loom lol. still gotta figure out egr valve.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Wait a 4 barrel carb.? Your engine must have the offy intake on it then. Those intakes arent made anymore and are really nice for making a 2.8 have some ass to it.

Got pics of all of this, may help us out a bit?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Sounds to me like the inspector dont know dick. But with a four barrel carb maybe you can find a spacer between the carb and manifold with a egr valve on it just to make it look like it works. If it still has stock exhaust the O-2 sensor is screwed into the pipe on the drivers side back by the firewall.

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Wait a 4 barrel carb.? Your engine must have the offy intake on it then. Those intakes arent made anymore and are really nice for making a 2.8 have some ass to it.

Got pics of all of this, may help us out a bit?
that is the nearest i can figure out for an intake. i might jump at that auction.... scratch that i did jump at that auction

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Sounds to me like the inspector dont know dick. But with a four barrel carb maybe you can find a spacer between the carb and manifold with a egr valve on it just to make it look like it works. If it still has stock exhaust the O-2 sensor is screwed into the pipe on the drivers side back by the firewall.
nah my pop got headers but the headers had a spot for oxi sensor and egr. problem is i welded a plug in the egr before he installed them 3 years ago.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
cool beans, after struggling with this for a few months i took it to Meineki that my pop has it inspected at all the time and it passed. all i did was put in a o2 sensor (that has a wire that leads to no where) and a cat.when i find my camera i will take a pick of the offy intake. sigh i still had to tell them how to use the STOCK horn lol.