•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

EEC question

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I bought a 84 bronco II and it has neither canister purge solenoid or a Carb. Float Bowl vent solenoid, Does it need these things to run right or can I plug some stuff off... Oklahoma has inspections anymore so I free to do what I wish!!! :) Such That Cali!
And If I need them where can I buy Them!?!?!
Thanks Everyone
Justin

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
napa,#crb22109.$62.99,it's on my list too.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
sorry,just answering the where to get portion of the question.mine is out because it is shorted and blows the fuse.i have a small hose in it's place until i get a new one,no difference in the way mine runs, closed or connected.i'll let others guide you on the need to keep it for emisions.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
yes,top front of carb,hose runs down to canister.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You need all parts in working order for the factory emissions to work properly. I am in California and need all original stuff. When it runs right, it's great. When it doesn't; I need lots of time and money.
If you can get away with a DuraSpark ignition, do it.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 2001
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
"I just want this thing to run"
Then pull codes and see what needs to be done and if it;s worth it to you. When these engines run, they run a long, long time - but the cost and effort is up to you.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
seems like a lot to do! I just want this thing to run
I understand what you are saying bud. The emissions cr*p is a rat's nest at best (though not the worst I have seen... try an 80's RX7 especially the turbo's).

Both of those should be emissions only devices. However, there may be the side effect of a check engine light if they are removed. My advice is, if it is running fine and you are not getting a CE light, don't worry about it.

Personally I am going to rewire / rehose mine, for fun, and to make it easier to work on. So nothing will be "open".

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I dunno about California (they may be different) but RBV's elsewhere didn't get CEL until '88 or '89, long after the 2.8 died so no matter what it shouldn't come on.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
seems like a lot to do! I just want this thing to run
try not to get frustrated,there is alot to do on any vehicle w/emisions systems.take each step one by one,use the tech manual and go slow.submit your problems here and we'll get you through it.i can not and will not just come out and say disable the emisions as this is illegal.there is a good bit of info on conversions in the tech lab.i used the vacuum diagram under my hood and the tech library to verify proper routing of vacuum hoses,they are color coded and very well marked on the drawing.you will need the purge solenoid for emmisions,the napa part i indicated earlier.there is another for the canister that is routed to behind the carb.i will try to get pictures this saturday or sooner of my engine and the routing for you.hang in there,this isn't rps,we will get you through this.skip dog.

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Alright thanks guys.. Robbied is sending me pics but dial up sucks and i got to wait till i get to work to see them:(

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I'm sorry, man. I'm in the same boat- dialup at home, and good internet service at work. What I sent you today was the best vacuum line diagram I could find. I'll try to get the actual pictures taken of my 2.8L truck engine compartment tomorrow. This time change is killing me!

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I dunno about California (they may be different) but RBV's elsewhere didn't get CEL until '88 or '89, long after the 2.8 died so no matter what it shouldn't come on.
I apologize for the misinformation. I am looking at the 83 / 84 2.8L diagram right now and you are absolutely right!

fordracing121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks well it seems I got a bigger problem I checked compression and it's sitting round 50-60 so I can't see how thats helping it at all!!! :( I feel like I need to take a really long vaction!!!!!!

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That sucks, man, and I'm sorry to hear it. Don't get discouraged, and I hope that you run into a way to get the truck fixed up. Good luck.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Thanks well it seems I got a bigger problem I checked compression and it's sitting round 50-60 so I can't see how thats helping it at all!!! :( I feel like I need to take a really long vaction!!!!!!
Don't be too discouraged!! My truck ran pretty good, started up on the first revolution of the engine, but was pushing major league oil in to the air filter. Then it would end up burned out the exhaust.

I checked the left cylinder bank and found the cylinders were around 75 PSI, 100 PSI being the lowest acceptable. I was surprised she ran as well as she did.

Right now I am in the midst of pulling the engine to do a re-ring / re-bearing / re-gasket. I was able to buy the kit (all brand name parts) on eBay for $150 shipped. I am not upset at all (though the guy I bought it from is a diesel mechanic and said that all it needed was a tune up... yeah right!) because I am going to clean and paint the engine and engine bay, clean up the wiring, and convert to Duraspark II ignition.

I pulled the wiring / vacuum lines last night, what a rat's nest. The funny thing is, the engine itself is tiny. But all of the auxiliary components (needed, and not so needed) add the bulk. I can now access the plugs on the right bank which was a near impossibility before.

If you do pull the engine be very careful with the wiring and the vacuum lines. I was very careful and still snapped several brittle lines. I also found some wires where the insulation was so decayed that bare wires were rubbing together. Not good at all. The good thing for me is, 90% of the vac. lines and wiring are going bye bye. I will probably test each individual component (solenoids, etc), clean them, and put them on my eBay store so someone else can keep their Ranger emissions compliant.

RobbieD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That sounds like a great project build ("rebuild"?), Forcus. Hope you post your progress; it ought to be a really nice rig when you're done.