•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

electrical issues

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
my 88 BII wont start. it's had electrical issues in the past and something is draining the battery or not letting it charge. it's a new battery, so it should be fine. i also just replaced the solenoid with no luck.

i've tried jumping it and that doesnt work either. when the jumper cables are hooked up, the electrical system(radio, dash lights, headlights, etc) all works but it still wont start.

when the jumper cables are unhooked, the battery quickly drains and there is no power at all.

anyone else have this problem or have any thoughts on what to try next?
thanks in advance

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Check for a wire that's been chewed through or worn through an is shorting out somewhere.

Also check your battery cables, I had a problem with the cables going bad, they corroded all the way through an when you flexed the cable in your hands, you could hear it crunching away an splintering inside the casing. I put a new ground (negative) cable on and a new starter cable an the problem went away.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i'll have to look for a worn cable. the battery cables have been replaced.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
ok the battery has a charge, so something is draining it before it makes it to the starter??? i'm guessing, i have no idea, electrical stuff is way over my head. i can do anything else with a car but the electrical stuff.

anyways, anyone have any ideas?

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
ok the battery has a charge, so something is draining it before it makes it to the starter??? i'm guessing, i have no idea, electrical stuff is way over my head. i can do anything else with a car but the electrical stuff.

anyways, anyone have any ideas?
hmm... Don't suppose you live anywhere close to western PA...

Electrical is not over my head by any means, I'm a former Electrical Engineering student (only left the program because I realized I was taking it to prove something, and although I enjoy tinkering with electric, I don't think I'd like it as a daily job (then I wouldn't want to tinker with it, lol), so I was doing it for the wrong reasons).

Sometimes you just have to take a test meter an start hunting for the lil gremlins... and stab 'em in the eye when you find 'em with your soldiering iron before wrapping them in electrical tape and heat shrink tubing.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
ok, i got her started after trickle charging the battery overnight. however, once i cut it off, the damn thing wont crank again. could this be a alternator problem? the battery still has a charge, but it'll probably be dead tomorrow morning when i try to crank it. we'll see. any ideas anyone?