•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

ES transfer case to Manual

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
So I have an '86 bronco II 2.9 5-speed with the push button 4x4. the more i search the more I dislike my already not working electric shift transfer. I've found a whopping ZERO posts of anyone who said they actually like their ES 4x4 system. I've also read that a lot of you guys have done the swap to a manual case. But i can't seem to find a "how to" or anything.

so my questions to you are:

On a 1-10 scale for a weekend wrencher how would you rate the difficulty of this swap?

what can i look to spend on this swap? or how much did it cost you?

any tips or tricks should know about?

i mean essentially i just drop the one in there now, cut a hole in the floor and stick the new one in its place?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i mean essentially i just drop the one in there now, cut a hole in the floor and stick the new one in its place?
Basically that's it, however you don't need to cut a hole in the floor, just replace the floor plate with the one from the donor truck (you'll need to cut a hole for the shifter in your carpet however).

I wouldn't mind the electric setup if it was more reliable (and had decent hubs to go with it), but unfortunately such a system from ANY manufacturer has been rather elusive (especially as such systems age), so people tend to prefer a mechanical lever instead.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
I like mine after rebuilding and adjusting the shift motor myself. It works great! I also have taken good care of my automatic hubs, and I take them apart and clean them sometimes, regrease them, and put them back. I try to avoid having to actually use the 4wd when I first shift in as to not shock the hubs, but I still want manual hubs so I can weld my front end.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
Basically that's it, however you don't need to cut a hole in the floor, just replace the floor plate with the one from the donor truck (you'll need to cut a hole for the shifter in your carpet however).

I wouldn't mind the electric setup if it was more reliable (and had decent hubs to go with it), but unfortunately such a system from ANY manufacturer has been rather elusive (especially as such systems age), so people tend to prefer a mechanical lever instead.
awesome. this makes me feel better about swapping. carpet is coming out anyways. and yeah the ES was a neat idea in theory but...

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
I like mine after rebuilding and adjusting the shift motor myself. It works great! I also have taken good care of my automatic hubs, and I take them apart and clean them sometimes, regrease them, and put them back. I try to avoid having to actually use the 4wd when I first shift in as to not shock the hubs, but I still want manual hubs so I can weld my front end.
i believe there is something wrong with my transfer case itself and not just the shift motor, because i cant even shift it into gear by turning it manually.

and anything will last if it is taken care of and not abused.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
so what years of what vehicles can i get the manual case out of?

up to 88 rangers and B2's for sure. right?

what about after that? 89 and up. what about explorers?
will they have what i'm looking for?
and the case I'm looking for is a manual 1350?

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
so what years of what vehicles can i get the manual case out of?

up to 88 rangers and B2's for sure. right?

what about after that? 89 and up. what about explorers?
will they have what i'm looking for?
and the case I'm looking for is a manual 1350?
Almost any 13-50 manual case will be a direct swap.
The only exception is the 13-50 STX case from an 87-89 STX Ranger. It is a 13-50, but it uses a different front driveshaft. It can be distinguished by the fixed yoke on the front output, instead of a slip joint.
IIRC 90 was the first year of the 13-54. It will work, but you will need a different front driveshaft. (and they are harder to find in manual version.)
The 1st gen explorer uses a 13-54, not a 13-50.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
so 13-50's from 83 to 89 out of rangers and BII's? minus the 87 to 89 STX ranger

I'm about to start calling junk yards. Just want to make sure i get the right one.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Putting the driveshaft back in on a slip yoke output sucks due to it only goes in one way due to how the splines are made. I just replaced the output seals on mine (just finished with the front one an hour ago) and recommend doing that before you put the JY transfercase in.

I prefer manual over automatic anyday since hearing about how easily the electric ones can fail on you.

Blake.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Engine Size
Putting the driveshaft back in on a slip yoke output sucks due to it only goes in one way due to how the splines are made. I just replaced the output seals on mine (just finished with the front one an hour ago) and recommend doing that before you put the JY transfercase in.

I prefer manual over automatic anyday since hearing about how easily the electric ones can fail on you.
thanks for the advice
i found one case at a yard for 100 just the case
and one at another with everything i need to do the swap for 200
also found a member on here parting out his B2 so i'm waiting to hear back from him before i get one from the yard.