•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

exhaust upgrade info . . .

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
my '84 . . I dd a lot of engine upgrades and did away with the computer controls over last winter. I went with a Duraspark distributor and HEI module to handle the ignition and rebuilt a 2100 for the carburetor. I replaced the valve seals and other odds and ends. I also added headers. But untill this weekend, I was using the stock cat back setup. Well the stock pipe is 2" and goes down to 1 7/8" in some areas, so I knew I wanted to replace it down the road. So this weekend, I added a 2 1/2 mandrel bent cat back and what an improvement. I bought a 2 1/2" turbo type muffler and welded te stock flange to the front of it. My cat is empty. I was thinking of welding up a tailpipe, but after looking at all the small bends figured I'd let the shop do it. So I took my tailpipe to an exhaust shop that can bend the pipe with mandrels. They matched the pipe perfectly and I welded on the hangers etc . . . and I was in business. Well it made a noticeable difference. I think my setup before was being choked by the stock muffler and pipee. The 2 1/2" single exhaust is not radical, but its enough to make the difference. A 2 1/2" pipe will flow as much as 2 - 1 3/4" pipes, so I didn't exactly double my flow in area alone, but being a mandrel bent system compared to the crush bent stock type systems, I may have actually doubled the flow capabilities. I have a spot on the road where I can test my performance and its better; noticeably. My 55-65 mph change is also better. Its now allowing the before mentioned modifications to work as they should. So I'm offereing this alternative for you guys. True, a single exhaust isn't as "sexy" as duals, but with the tight area under the vehicle especially with 4wd, if you want a full length exhaust system this is an alternative. The sound is good, the fit is perfect and the result is welcomed. The muffler was about $30, the pipe needed for the muffler mod I had ( just a few inches was needed ), the tailpipe and clamps were $92 . . . so for under $125 a performance exhaust that actually works.