•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Explorer Overhead Console in Bronco II

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Last weekend I picked up an explorer overhead console. I had wanted one after reading about it in the tech library, and although that's not the reason I was at the junkyard, after passing about 4 or 5 of them, I had to grab one. I installed it today, took around 3 hours.
The contour of the console doesn't fit the contour of the headliner though. I had to shave some of the plastic away with a dremel to make the curved part fit, and cut off about a 1/4 inch in the back so that it wouldn't hit the windshield. At the front of the console there is about an inchish gap between it and the roof. I put a piece of 1x4 under it for now, I'm not happy about it but it doesn't look terrible. Any suggestions on that?
Instead of running the wire down the driver side like it is in an explorer, I put it down the passenger side. I want to eventually get a trans temp gauge, and I didn't want to fight those wires along with more for the gauge. They tucked away quite nice with some wire loom. I only hooked up power to the display and the lights, and the two wires for the temp sensor. I don't know what to hook the vehicle speed sensor wire up to, because the BII doesn't have one. I also didn't hook up the dimmer or because I didn't feel like pulling out my radio, and I didn't want them hooked up with the other two dome lights. All in all, it was actually really easy to do. Plus I think it added at least 25 extra horsepower:headbang:

Broncopower33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
sweet idea, i like it. may look into that my self