•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

explorer trans....

lososjoyride00

Reaction score
what are my options for a auto trans swap in my explorer. i dont like the aod, and electric transfer thats in it. is there any way to put a c6 on the 4.0 i heard of a c5 swap, but i dont want to spend thousands of dollars on this.

bombsquad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
bombsquad

Well i say jerry rig it !!!!! but good luck bro!!!:icon_thumby::icon_welder::icon_hornsup::icon_surprised:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
what are my options for a auto trans swap in my explorer. i dont like the aod, and electric transfer thats in it. is there any way to put a c6 on the 4.0 i heard of a c5 swap, but i dont want to spend thousands of dollars on this.
Looking at what you have there I would gather you have the 4.0? The only automatic transmission offered in the Explorer's from 91-94 was the A4LD. 95 and 96 had the electronic A4LD. 97 and newer had a number of transmisions 4R44E, 4r55E, 5R55E. A C6 will not work behind a 4.0. You could have yours rebiult for right around 1100 dollars by a reputible transmission shop.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
a c5 out of a broncoII or ranger with a 2.8 or 2.9 will bolt right to your 4.0. the only thing is you might run into driveshaft issues and a check engine light because the computer would be looking for a torque converter lock up and a 3/4 shift input.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Totalled did the c5 swap. Even with a custom converter it revved/slipped too much, it now has a M5OD.

Xploda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 soon to be turbo
IF you can get the c5 to work properly my buddy built his back into a c4 it has the extra clutch pack or w/e I forget cost only like 400 for everything and we have thrashed it pretty good and no problems yet...Im tempted to put that in my xplorer just need some info on some parts for the swap.